low amniotic fluid anyone experience this

On Monday they are checking my fluid, I was wondering what do they do if it is low?

Kre10

Asked by Kre10 at 9:50 PM on Sep. 11, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I did this :(

Can mean many things ....okay
    Do not panic... yet

How many weeks are you ?

Drink water, and water only.
    SissyAnn141

Answer by SissyAnn141 at 10:03 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Sometimes, replacing fluid through maternal oral or IV hydration may be used to help correct the condition. Other times, amnioinfusion is used. If low amniotic fluid is seen in a post-term pregnancy, most practitioners will induce labor.

One of the main concerns is that your placenta may not be functioning correctly, which could lead to a number of complications. You may have a premature birth, or the amniotic fluid may get so low that your baby will compress the umbilical cord and starve himself of oxygen. Low amniotic fluid may also prevent some of the vital organs and systems we all rely on for fully developing.

I have the exact opposite problem, very high fluid and I am on bed rest at 33 weeks so I don't go into labor to early and will most likely have a large baby as my others were over 10lbs.
    Congenial

Answer by Congenial at 10:07 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• im 33 wks yes in my case I know its from a placenta not properly functioning bc of a disorder I have they jst ddnt say what the end result would be although at the start of my pregnancy they did inform me of the chance of being induced early for mulitple reason dealing w a poor placenta bc. Of my defect
    Kre10

Comment by Kre10 (original poster) at 10:16 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• My sister had this with her first child and they put her on bedrest and monitored it for a few weeks. She had to go to the doctor two times a week for about 4 weeks. When it became an issue, they took the baby via Csection. She delivered at 38 weeks.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 10:22 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• I havent had this but I am wishing you the best of luck and hope everything turns out ok!!
    confusedgirl919

Answer by confusedgirl919 at 10:32 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Oh no I've been on bed rest before and ill start drinking a lot more water congenial have they taken out any of your extra fluid yet I was sort of worried bc my stomach has went from being round and harder to soft and mushy not rounded like before she's been making spastic movements that I've never feltbefore so I just feel different glad I'm only waiting until monday
    Kre10

Comment by Kre10 (original poster) at 10:35 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• thanks confused
    Kre10

Comment by Kre10 (original poster) at 10:39 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• I had low fluid at 21 weeks with my son I had to drink 80oz water a day and had to go to ultra sounds once a week and at 37 weeks I barley had any fluid so they induced me. I am 27 weeks now and my fluid is good. Hope all goes well. Good luck and best wishes.
    Candie2008

Answer by Candie2008 at 10:44 PM on Sep. 11, 2010