how can i tell if my baby is cold my aunt told me if her nose is cold she cold is that true

senior_2OO8

Asked by senior_2OO8 at 10:06 PM on Sep. 11, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I dont know how accurate it is but I know when my nose is cold I'm freezing....i sometimes cant fall asleep till i warm my nose up cause I'm shivering so bad. My husband thinks its pretty silly when it happens so I can only guess its a per person kind of thing.
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 10:08 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• check hands and feet too. if they are cold she is probably cold.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 10:09 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• she like to keep her hands uncoverd
    senior_2OO8

Comment by senior_2OO8 (original poster) at 10:10 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Not necessarily. She could be bundledup well, but the room may be cool, giving her a cold nose. Feel her hands, feet, legs. Do they feel cooler than your skin? The general rule I always went by was... if I were sitting on the couch wating a moving or reading a book (not up moving aorund) would I be comfortable in what the baby is wearing? Then adjust baby accordingly. :)
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 10:10 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• My hands and feet are always cold and they are usually exposed to air, not sure if that is a good way to tell.

I always checked the back of my childrens neck. It is closer to the core of the body and there fore, I felt it was a more accurate way of telling if a child was cold.

I always thought the nose thing was for a dog's health.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 10:15 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• If the nose is cold that can determine the baby being cold. Check hands, feet, etc. If you have a newborn keep a hat on their head, because heat releases from the top of their head the easiest.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:24 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• baby hands and feet have poor circulation anyway, if your wrried shes not warm enough use a thermometer. basic rule though newborns should have a hat on to keep the heat in thier bodies and if your home is cool keep her swaddled.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 10:25 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• so if her then if her hands and feet are hot undress her some then its cuz ima first time mom and shes only a week in a half old bout to be two
    senior_2OO8

Comment by senior_2OO8 (original poster) at 10:26 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• I always check the neck. My hands and feet are always ice (useful for when I get bored and want to get hubs to make funny noises) and my son tends to be the same way.

I tend to judge it more by how I feel than anything because especially when he was a newborn, I rarely had him away from me long enough for him to be cooler than I was.

Try her neck though. If she's cool to the touch at the base of her neck, she could probably use some warmth. :)
    flitpixie

Answer by flitpixie at 10:37 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• i was told to check the tummy's or their backs....if they feel cold or hot...
    cdesersa

Answer by cdesersa at 6:54 AM on Sep. 13, 2010