My first "child"

My beautiful long hair feline friend was first in my life a couple of years ago. She has NO idea what me having a baby means and thinks everything that I've bought is for her. I don't want to have the baby's room shut all the time, but we've caught her asleep in the crib and up on the changing table. I really think that she'll learn once Talon's here....but I can't stand the thought of having to give her up. I'm not really looking for advice on what to do here...just maybe some shared stories if anyone else has been through this?

Adeline1210

Asked by Adeline1210 at 12:25 AM on Oct. 16, 2008 in Pets

• You can get one of those mesh tents that fits over the babies crib. They are used to keep a child from climbing out, but Ive heard parents using them to keep cats from getting in. Also, I had a friend that actually replaced her babies bedroom door with a screen door. I thought that was a briliant idea. The cats stayed out and you can keep a watchful eye on your baby. Just a few thoughts.
    Oldham80

Answer by Oldham80 at 12:39 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• I'd say to start now by squirting her with a water bottle (on body, not face or head)so that when she goes in the baby's room and you have that bottle out, she knows to get away but always give affection in the other rooms. That's what I've had to do. Now I'm bringing a kitten in and she hates it. I have to get her to like her new "sis" Plus I have to keep her nails trimmed short so she can't scratch the kids if any accidents happen. She's doing well though...just not with the kitten...
    Momchipomkids

Answer by Momchipomkids at 12:47 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• i'd go with the tent idea, the spray bottle may work but that's a scary thought that she sleeps in the crib, but be very careful though, i'm sure you've heard stories and most of them are probably true. good luck and i hope it all works out
    workenmom

Answer by workenmom at 2:06 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• it could also just be that the cat senses the arrival of your baby..and is just "trying to make it feel like home" my sis's cat did that when she was pregnant with my niece, and once the baby had arrived, the cat was perfectly fine
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 2:34 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• my 12yr old cat did that when i was pregnant.. he would sleep in the crib and on anything he could... like it was just for him.... it was a bit annoying cause of all the hair on the sheets... but i would change and wash the sheets everyweek... then when our DS arrived he sniffed the baby and ran away.. it took him a week to get used to the baby... and he jumped into the crib once when the baby was in there and realize opps not my bed anymore and jumped right back out... my DS is 2 now and that cat still runs from him ... but we got a kitten that just loves him!! we will be putting the crib up again soon so i will let u know if the kitten trys to claim the crb too...
    navywifemomkoch

Answer by navywifemomkoch at 5:49 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• my cat did that too but we shushed her out everytime she went in there, after the baby was here she never got into the crib partly i think cause the cat is afraid of her.
    bonnie-jo

Answer by bonnie-jo at 10:38 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• TRUST ME I HAD TWO CATS FOR 5 YRS BEFORE MY DAUGHTER CAME I HAVE PICS OF THEM IN THE CRIB IN THE STOLLER IN THE BATH LOL !! MY CATS GOT SCARED TO DEATH OF MY CRYING BABY IT TOOK THEM LIKE 6 MONTHS TO GO NEAR HER !! I WAS NEVER WORRIED MUCH ! BUT YOU COULD GET A SPRAY BOTTLE AND SPRAY THEM NOW TO MAKE THEM KNOW TO GET AWAY !!!
    sweetchrissy

Answer by sweetchrissy at 2:02 AM on Oct. 17, 2008

• huh... I have three cats and one is spoiled rotten thinks everything in the house belongs to him did the same thing, slept in the crib, in the changer in this in that.I also have two siberian huskies and I just didn't make a huge deal out of it until the baby arrived tell you why... Because they are curious they need to learn about the baby, while the cat might be taking up baby places like many said already, most times the cats run away... Some get tamed sooner but again, I have five animals and the rule is NEVER EVER leave your child unattended in a house any time any where (cat or dog) without you being able to see the child at all times. When you have animals you must keep constant watch. The crib deal once baby arrives I would without a doubt teach kitty that is one place that is a no no since you do not want to stay up all night keeping eye on a crib.
    Mooska

Answer by Mooska at 6:39 AM on Oct. 17, 2008

• I had a cat for a year before my daughter was born, and when the baby and I came home from the hospital, the cat just sniffed her and ignored her after that till she got big enough to crawl after him and grab him. He never scratched her or anything. We had him till she was 5 years old and he got hit by a car. I don't think you will have any trouble with the cat and the baby, but watch them together and don't leave them alone with each other till the baby is big enough to crawl around real good.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:12 AM on Oct. 17, 2008

• I had a huge 17 pound cat (Ragdoll) who thought he was a blanket. He'd lay stretched out on top of everyone who would let him. Before I had my baby I sent him to live with a friend of mine because I was afraid he'd sneak into the bassinet and accidentally suffocate the baby while I was sleeping. When my baby got older my friend didn't want to give him up, so now we are cat-less. I plan on getting another cat as soon as I can afford to buy one.
    Anonymous