Would it be wrong for me to stay in touch with her?

My dad & his wife have been married for about 8 years, right now theyre going through a divorce. I havent always gotten along with her, until recently, for about a year or so maybe. But she's been messaging me on facebook, about how she's still in love with him, venting i guess. but I told her I didnt want to offend her in anyway, but Id rather stay out of it all. That shes a great woman, and I hope they work something out that they both agree on. But she agreed, and I told her if they do decide on divorce (which ive already talked about it with my dad & hes 100% sure its the only answer. He's already bought his own place) that me & her could stay in touch. She said she would like that. But would that be wrong?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:06 PM on Sep. 11, 2010 in Relationships

• Well if he said it's fine then that should be okay, right?
    fujin06

Answer by fujin06 at 10:08 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• I don't see a problem with it. I think you need to set the ground rules and she needs to know that your friendship is not a way for her to keep tabs on your Dad
    Maureen-MD

Answer by Maureen-MD at 10:09 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• unless she's done something horribly wrong to your dad, i dont see the problem. if it's just not working out between them then i see no harm in the two of you being friendly. however, if she has really wronged your father in some way (cheating, stealing, habitually lying, etc) then i think it would be a bit of a betrayal to your father to keep in touch with her. it really depends on the circumstances of the divorce. either way, just make sure you dont get caught in the middle of their drama and become a messenger or mediator between the two of them.
    LoriaAnn

Answer by LoriaAnn at 10:14 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

LoriaAnn

Answer by LoriaAnn at 10:15 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• You are both adults. As long as your relationship isn't a way for her to use you to get to your dad there is NOTHING wrong with it.
    GoldenLinds

Answer by GoldenLinds at 10:21 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Of course it wouldn't be wrong, she was your Step Mom for 8 years.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 10:21 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• I don't see an issue with it.
    elly25

Answer by elly25 at 10:22 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• No that wouldn't be wrong of you. It would be no different in you staying in contact with your biological mom when your parents seperated. (If that was the case) You can still remain friends with a friend or relative's ex, just as much as with the friend.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:23 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• I don't see why not but I would make it perfectly clear that you would not be gossiping about your father to her to let her know what is going on his life.
    frugalistamom2

Answer by frugalistamom2 at 10:37 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• No. If you two want to be friends, you should be.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 10:38 PM on Sep. 11, 2010