nursing question

my DS is almost 3 weeks old and he constantly wants to eat. I nurse him on both sides after after that he is still hungry. Please dont bash but I have been giving him breastmilk in a bottle and formula after 2 more ounces in a bottle he's full. I've bene doing research and lots of women say that I should put out a little "camping spot" with everything I need in hands reach and just nurse non stop. how well does that work? also, after i nurse though there is nothing left...i try to pump or hand express. how is he getting enuff then?? he will sit at my breats and fuss becuase nothing is coming out. what do i do?? I love to nurse and dont want to stop but I can't stay up all day & night either. I also have a 4 year old that needs attention and he is in pre-k.

travisnowensmom

Asked by travisnowensmom at 10:11 PM on Sep. 11, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• are you letting him EMPTY the first breast before you switch to the second one. this is a common mistake, as the last of the milk in each breast is the fatty milk. you should read the la leche league website....lots of helpful info that is ACCURATE. lots of the stuff you read is not accurate, or call wic and get into a breastfeeding class or call the local hospital and make an appointment with a lactation consultant.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 10:18 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• ya he empties the first one before i switch him to the second. i'm going to call a local lactation consultant on Monday to see if she could come out and give me some help
    travisnowensmom

Comment by travisnowensmom (original poster) at 10:19 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• ok well that is probably your best bet anyway. i had a consultant with my last baby and it turned out she simply wasnt latched right, we fixed it and she did great after that.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 10:21 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Some women don't let down well to a pump. So while you think the breast is empty, there is milk there and the baby is easily able to get it out.

Your supply is still regulating so there will be all night cluster feeds and such. Also, your LO might be full but just likes nursing. And a bottle flows fast so it seems like they are sucking it down hungrily, but it is just that bottles are fast feeders.

Let him nurse and nurse. and nurse. Put him in the bed with you (even if it is just for 1 night) and let him chow down. Count diapers. Diaper count is the only measurable method to make sure babies are getting enough. About 8 wets/dirties per 24 hours is spot on.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:10 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Once you've nursed on both sides, and baby is still hungry, offer the side that you started with. 3 weeks is a growth spurt, and if you begin supplementing at this point, your body might not get the signals it needs to increase production. No bashing, but honestly, I think the best thing you can do at this point is to drop any supplements, breast milk or formula, at least until your supply stabilizes. Just nurse frequently, on demand, even if you just nursed 15 mins ago. Give it a few days like this, and you should see a big difference.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:47 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• Oh, the camping out at the breast works well. Milk is made AS YOU NURSE, so the more you nurse, the more you will make. :)

Breastfeeding Moms group here can offer support, and I suggest seeking out your local La Leche League!
    Krysta622

• If he nurses on both sides and is still hungry then put him back on the first breast. Just keep switching him back and forth until he is full. If you keep giving bottles your supply will go down. (This is not bashing, just a fact). Three weeks is a really common time for a growth spurt. Try to "camp out" with him at the breast for a coupe of days, no bottles and you will get back on track!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 12:31 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• try pumping and then mix the formula and breast milk together.. maybe you're not producing as much as he needs you too.
    Audreysmommy123

Answer by Audreysmommy123 at 6:12 PM on Sep. 12, 2010