Really fussing nursing sessions

My three week old gets very fussy at a lot of the feedings we have. I think it's b/c I have a very fast let down b/c I can see milk spitting out of her mouth and she chokes, etc. I try everything to get her to calm down and to slow the flow (lay back, sit her up etc.) but nothing seems to work. I even take her off a second to let her catch her breath and she gets very upset. Any advice? Will this last like this forever? Why is it only certains feedings and no others? It is very frustrating for me and for her. I dont know what she wants. Sometimes I feel like giving in and quitting BF all together. :(

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:13 PM on Sep. 11, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• dont give up if it is what you want! it does get easier once your milk regulates, it just takes a month or so.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 10:18 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• dont give up! its best for your baby, ask a lactation consultant at your local hospital or wic office!
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 10:20 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Pump before feeding her, or hand-express some - at least til your let-down lets up and it's not flowing so fast into her mouth. I had to do it with one of mine.
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 10:48 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Sounds like growth spurt time combined with overactive letdown. Block feedings can help, nurse from one breast for 3 feedings, then the other for the next 3, and so on. Go to kellymom.com and search overactive letdown. LOTS Of help there. Stop into the Breastfeeding Moms group too!
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:45 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• Dont give up i used to go to breastfeeding group. It was nice to sit around and talk to new moms like me. I had to give up breastfeeding and i hated it cuz you will not get any closer with your baby then feeding her from your breast. You will always have a special bond with your child cuz you breastfed him/her.
    momil

Answer by momil at 11:41 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• It will get better! To start with, only nurse on one side per feeding. If your breast still feels 'full" after the feeding offer that same breast again for the next feeding. An awesome detailed description of how to deal with this at Oversupply

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 12:34 PM on Sep. 12, 2010