Elavil & Pregnancy

I am in the process of doing IVF and have it on hold because I can't seem to get off of the 20 mg Elavil that I have taken for the last 12 years. I have had horrible insomnia since I have been cutting down my dosage. I am down to 5 mg now but feel that I need to go right back to 20 because I haven't slept for two months and I can't function. Has anyone taken Elavil while pregnant and if you have was the baby ok? HELP!

cedinoc

Asked by cedinoc at 10:33 PM on Sep. 11, 2010 in Pregnancy

• What does your doc say? I was on paxil w/ my last 2 pregnancies. He took me off when we found out I was pregnant. Ativan may help. My doc told me it does not cross the placenta. I hope this helps.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 10:48 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• My IVF doctor will call me Monday with options because I told her by e-mail that I may cancel the IVF if I can't get off this medication. Elavil is a Category D as well as Ativan. Did you take it while pregnant, are your kids okay? I called Mother's Risk and they did not show any unusual amounts of birth defects of mothers who took Elavil while pregnant but these tests were done many years ago and I would rather talk with someone who actually took it while pregnant and to know the outcome. It is scary I don't want to be on anything. I am trying Melatonin tonight to see what happens. Thank you soooo much for your response.
    Carrie
    cedinoc

Comment by cedinoc (original poster) at 11:22 PM on Sep. 11, 2010