How do you know for sure when you are in labor or just having BH?

I know what BH feels like but i hear towards the end of the pregnancy you can get them confused with real contractions?

ArmyAngel18

Asked by ArmyAngel18 at 12:31 AM on Oct. 16, 2008 in Pregnancy

• They feel like menstrual cramps but more intense.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:34 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• well...#1 you just know... #2 if they're between 3 and 5 minutes apart and last atleast a minute thats labor..
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 1:34 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• i got them confused ALL THE TIME.... your real test is the timing! Write down when you have one and the time.... check a record of it. If they are a CONSISTANT interval of time for more than an hour then they are real

hendrickson

Answer by hendrickson at 2:06 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• timing...i never really experienced BH so when I started getting the real thing I thought thats all it was at first. So, I started writing down my contractions...what time they started, when they ended and then how intense it was on a scale of 1-10...they never got really consistent(3 min then 6 min then 2 min then 14 min) however, they became more and more intense...what I thought was a 8 in the beginning i realized was actually a 3 compared to the ones that were coming and they were lasting longer(60 to 90 seconds)...so after one that almost had me doubled over in the shower, I decided it was time to go and sure enough I was in labor....my water broke in the shower and i didnt really knw it.
    trentntats

Answer by trentntats at 10:28 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• I understand where you are coming from with your question as I was not sure I was in labor when it started. With my first child I had back labor and felt the contractions only in my back. I has a slight pain in my back around 8am then I felt nothing till around 10.30am. The contractions were not very painful. Between 11 and up to 12.30 they got more intense and were around 1-2 mins apart. I luckily made it to the hospital in time and my son was born a couple of hours later. I had a quick labor so I don't suggest waiting that long to go to hospital. As mentioned above - timing the contractions is important....mines were not exact to the second but fell within 1-2 mins apart. Also, I would say you can definitely feel an intensity to the contractions as time progresses - you will know the difference between BH and the real thing. Best of luck!
    Anonymous