my husband is a mechanic but he's stumped on this one...maybe you or your dh could enlighten him?

a friend of ours car wasn't starting. a sensor was stuck in something, it took 2 mechanics to figure out how to get the thing out, my dad got half of it out, my dh got the other half out. it started, he drove it around the neighborhood, then the next day it wouldn't start. they replaced the battery, and now it's not working...dh figured out that it wasn't getting gas to the fuel injectors, so they replaced the fuel pump, but for some reason fuel is not getting to the fuel injectors still. the fuel injectors look fine...dh is now stumped. i told him i'd come on here and ask yall, maybe he would get an idea. he's busy tomorrow so he won't be able to get back to the car until Monday. he checked all the fuses, they're all still good. DH is now at work, so i can't tell him what yall say until tomorrow, but i'm hopin yall could help out somehow...

sorry, didnt' know what catagorie to put it in

armywife43

Asked by armywife43 at 10:43 PM on Sep. 11, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Ping pong ball in the gas tank, sounds like. Made anyone mad lately?
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 10:46 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• My DH says maybe crankshaft sensor.... or inertia switch...
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 10:47 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• I bet it is the computer. I have heard that you can take your car to some parts stores and have them hooked up to the computer reader for free. That way you can find out what is wrong and buy the parts from them. Please understand this is all just hear say and I am not responsible for the validity of it.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 10:48 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Did he check the fuel filter? They get nasty and will cause the car not to start.
    offrdngal

Answer by offrdngal at 10:51 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• thanks ladies i'll tell him everything you said tomorrow. it might enlighten him. tootoobusy, yes that's true, as many times as my husband and dad have done that i know for a fact lol. and i will definitely have him look for a ping pong ball! lol you never know these days...
    armywife43

Comment by armywife43 (original poster) at 10:54 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• I would have to know a lot more. Like make and model and if you all hooked it to a computer to see which codes where firing. If they replaced the fuel pump most likely had to take the gas tank off depending on the make/model/year...so I doubt it's a ping pong ball in the gas tank. Also chances are they changed the fuel filter with the pump. So again, depending on the make/model/year, I would spend the money to get a dianostic check - It's much less expensive than a fuel pump! Let us know how it turns out! I'm just a mechanic's daughter, but I love troubleshooting car problems - unless it's my own car on the side of the road.
    sunshine58103

Answer by sunshine58103 at 10:59 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• First, in order to find out what is wrong, you need to identify the year, make and model of the car, and second, identify the sensor they took out. Third, did they take a fuel pressure test? And did they do a noid test of the injectors?

My BF is an ASE certified mechanic with a degree in automotive tech.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 10:59 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• lol oh wow i didn't think to ask him any of this stuff, i mean i am a mechanics daughter but there's a reason i married a mechanic..so i didn't have to worry about this stuff LOL. i know he went to auto zone, or advance...hhmm, one of them, not sure...and got something, he might have done a test on it, not sure. i wasn't there the whole week they've been working on it, and i didn't really get into detail about what they did. and i don't even know the make model and year. i'll have to ask him in the morning and get back with you ladies on this one. i guess i didn't think it through when i said i'd ask. and he just told me what was wrong while on his way out the door for work, he didn't get into any details.
    armywife43

Comment by armywife43 (original poster) at 11:04 PM on Sep. 11, 2010