Tip Toe Walking

Hi, my son will be three in October and I have a slight concern about his walking. He tends to still walk on his tip toes and I am wondering if this is a concern and what I can do to discourage it. He has a check up with his doctor when he turns three but I was wondering if any other mom's had experience with this.

Luuckymommy

Asked by Luuckymommy at 10:58 PM on Sep. 11, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Only a problem if there's other developmental issues as well... but bring it up to your dr anyhow.
    momofonelilguy

Answer by momofonelilguy at 11:06 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• my niece does it too. they keep her in shoes all the time to try to break the habit. it can cause the tendons in the ankle to not stretch properly. if it is really bad it can require physical therapy to correct.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 11:00 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• My son did this till in his teens. He is now 17 and still does on occasion, I think out of habit. But no harm to him. It actually gave him more muscle development in his legs which will help him with sports (jumping and running).
    marchar2002

Answer by marchar2002 at 11:02 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Check it on the internet. I think I read that it was possibly an indication of a learning disability.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 11:02 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• My DH's daughter did this (my step daughter) and they had to take her to the doctor for it. And also my friends 18 month old does it and had to be put in casts! :[ But ya bring it up with your doctor. They'll know if its need for concern or not!
    KrazyKutie

Answer by KrazyKutie at 11:08 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• My son will be 3 in Oct too and he walks on his tip toes sometimes.. when he has shoes on he doesnt.. I myself walked on the tips of my toes too until I was 8 or 9.. and well now I have crooked toes.. I dont have any tips on how to make him stop..
    AirforceWife654

Answer by AirforceWife654 at 11:10 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• my sister used to do this almost every time she would walk and still does every now and then. my mom took her to the doctor one time and asked them because she felt like something wasnt right and they said something about the tendons or ligaments or something like that were not as long as they should be and she was doing it because she was more comfortable. He also said not to force her into walking flat footed because it could cause her pain if she did it for to long.
    mommyofbrayd473

Answer by mommyofbrayd473 at 11:15 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• my friend's daughter does this. I'd ask the Dr, it could depend on the severity of it.
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 12:14 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• I wouldn't be concerned I still catch myself doing it from time to time and my daughter who just turned 4 also does it and my doctor said it will pass...they go through many changes and phases and sometimes well into their adult years
    heartsicksiren

Answer by heartsicksiren at 4:45 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• I have a friend who has twins that STILL (as far as I know and they are 7 yrs old) walk on their tip toes. I know it can cause some serious issues with tendons if not corrected.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 11:20 AM on Sep. 12, 2010