My first "child"

My beautiful long hair feline friend was first in my life a couple of years ago. She has NO idea what me having a baby means and thinks everything that I've bought is for her. I don't want to have the baby's room shut all the time, but we've caught her asleep in the crib and up on the changing table. I really think that she'll learn once Talon's here....but I can't stand the thought of having to give her up. I'm not really looking for advice on what to do here...just maybe some shared stories if anyone else has been through this?

Adeline1210

Asked by Adeline1210 at 12:38 AM on Oct. 16, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I have 5 very spoiled cats, and I was sooo worried about bringing the baby home, especially because they sat in all of his stuff too. But once he was home they didn't pay any attention to him at all, and started leaving his stuff alone. One of them still lays in his car seat, but she shoo's when we tell her to. I would start teaching her to shoo when she's somewhere she's not supposed to be, and maybe get a crib tent, though I found I didn't need one at all.
    SamanthaAgain

Answer by SamanthaAgain at 12:40 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• my ct did the same, she pretty much steers clear of the baby now!
    VictinaG

Answer by VictinaG at 12:40 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• Lay aluminum foil sheets in the crib and on the changing area. The sound and feel should deter her from lying on it and eventually she won't bother trying.
    mamapotter

Answer by mamapotter at 12:44 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• that's an awesome idea mamapotter!!!! I never thought of that... My cats roam free in the nursery now, and never go into the crib; however I too shut the door for the first year as I was worried they would jump on my son while he was sleeping... they do make a net thingy, but I just didn't like the idea of having that on the crib...

leoangel

Answer by leoangel at 12:48 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• you really need to figure something out soon becuase cats naturally want to lay on babies like they do their own babies and that can lead to suffication.. i would hate to have to give a furry friend up becuase a baby was coming along.
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 1:33 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• as soon as the cat hears the baby cry she will want nothing to do with it!
    my cat was always in a differnt room than the baby because she was not in the mood to find out what could make such a fuss~!
    make sure everytime you see her in the crib you pick her up out of it... she should get the idea.
    vakatia

Answer by vakatia at 1:55 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• my cat pee'ed on everything that the baby had touched! it was horrible!!!

hendrickson

Answer by hendrickson at 2:13 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• our cat is 13 yrs old he had her way before we ever came along. she was all over me when i was pregnant with our daughter. When she was born she would just lay somewhere where she could know that she was ok. She wouldn't lay right beside her or ON her just close enough to make sure she was ok.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:03 AM on Oct. 16, 2008