Almost 2 yr. old isn't talking that much...

A little background: My son was born almost 4 weeks early and was in the NICU for a week due to having breathing issues. He will be 2 at the end of Oct. but he still doesn't talk that much. He says a handful of words but not like my daughter did at this age.

frugalistamom2

Asked by frugalistamom2 at 11:04 PM on Sep. 11, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Is he having any other developemental delays? Sometimes preemies take a bit longer to catch up to thier age group.
    BlacksheepSati

Answer by BlacksheepSati at 11:08 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• No, he was walking at around 11 months and has great social and problem solving skills. He does throw a lot of temper tantrums and bangs his head a lot on things such as the walls (not too hard though) but we think it is out of frustration of not being able to communicate with us.
    frugalistamom2

Comment by frugalistamom2 (original poster) at 11:10 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• My second daughter is the same way. My first was using full sentences by 20 months, but my second only says a handful of words like "nigh-night", "mama", "dada", "piggie", etc. I think it's normal; every kid is different and your son will probably be spouting off full sentences before you know it. :)
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 11:29 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• I will start to read to him more. We talk to him all the time and try point to our chin so he can watch us talk which helped my twin nieces when they were going through speech therapy. They too were preemies. My DS loves to babble to people and loves them kisses and what not but you just have no clue what he is saying all the time. LOL he does know how to say my DH's first name now though.
    frugalistamom2

Comment by frugalistamom2 (original poster) at 11:30 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• have his hearing checked. if thats ok. try play dates where hes around other kids.
    stressedoutgran

Answer by stressedoutgran at 12:43 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• my youngest daughter turned 3 in June of this year...she has just now started being understandable to some degree....all 3 of my girls were somewhat of late talkers...they all develop at their own pace....perhaps if you are really concerned you should talk to your child's doctor about it and see if your son needs speech therapy
    MamaCortney

Answer by MamaCortney at 10:30 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• His hearing is good and he is around kids all the time especially at daycare.

I have talked to the doctor but their response is always oh he is fine just wait and he will talk soon enough.
    frugalistamom2

Comment by frugalistamom2 (original poster) at 1:02 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• When I had concerns about my son's speech, my ped told me my son would talk when he was ready. Turns out he has autism and after he lost the few words he had, he didn't say any "real" words until he was 5. Pediatricians are notorious for putting off parents worries. I would contact early intervention yourself if you have any concerns. It definitely never hurts to get a free evaluation!

Answer by missanc at 3:04 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• Thanks missanc I think that is what I am going to do.
    frugalistamom2

Comment by frugalistamom2 (original poster) at 4:21 PM on Sep. 12, 2010