Do you homeschool? Why?

Do you homeschool your children? If so, why and what benefits does it have on your child. Also, what do you do about social events such as proms/games/sports that your child would miss by being homeschooled and not going to a public/private school.

frugalistamom2

Asked by frugalistamom2 at 11:07 PM on Sep. 11, 2010 in

• Yes, we homeschool. There are many reasons we chose to homeschool. Some of the main reasons are because the schools here are terrible, we know that we can provide a better education, and when we had our oldest tested for Kindergarten, we were told to either homeschool or put him in private school because he was far too advanced for the public school he would have gone to.

We participate in a large homeschool organization in our state which sponsors geography bee, spelling bees, graduations, youth groups, swim team, band, sports, and a ton of other things. We got in contact with our local parks and rec and have the kids involved in sports (soccer right now) through them. Plus the kids are in scouts, awanas, church activities, homeschool group, various sports/lessons/classes.

If you are thinking of homeschooling and want more answers from homeschoolers, try the Happy Homeschoolers group here on cafemom.
    momof3inTN

Answer by momof3inTN at 11:16 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Thank you so much for that info. I will check out that group as well. My DH and I have been discussing the pros/cons about homeschooling but I really want to talk to people who do homeschool to get better in sight.
    frugalistamom2

Comment by frugalistamom2 (original poster) at 11:18 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Yes, we homeschool. We choose to do that because of the violence, drugs, ect that have invaded our middle and high schools (several reported rape cases last year and little-to-none in the area of administration control). For our kids the benefit is of course safety but also it allows them to help decide what they learn about. We have our "core four" that include math, science, social studies and language arts. The girls get to decide what they want to do for the rest of the subjects (our 10th grader is doing humanities, creative writing, artistic technique, spanish and home economics; our 6th grader is doing music appreciation, home ec, spanish and art). Our girls are active in Girl Scouts, community volunteering (socialization with a wide range of people), community sports, music lessons and the little theater and our hs group. As for prom, there is a homeschool prom just as close as where the high school holds theirs.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 11:31 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• my children are not old enough for school yet, but if the schools are bad I will consider it
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 12:23 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• Yes, we have homeschooled and it was great fun and my kids did very well. I would do it again but right now we have found a good charter school here that teaches GERMAN full time. So my 2 youngest kids will be fluent in German by the 5th grade.
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 3:49 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• I don't, and don't really feel I would be good at it, otherwise I would consider it.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 11:27 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• we have homeschooled, but my girl started K3 this year... because she needs help with her speach in social situations... she talks fine with me and family and friends... but around people that she doesn't know quite as well she has issues... but we do continue her schooling at home...
    as for social stuff... she is in dance, swim, art and we also do the local library reading program... the only thing for her speach is that most of those are "listen don't talk" classes, so we needed to get her out there talking...
    i'm hoping that after this year we can drop the co-op schooling and finish up with her home schooling.
    asil

Answer by asil at 11:33 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• I home school my DD. The schools around her are terrible, plus my DD is very advanced for her age & I want to be able to work at her pace & comfort level.
    stressedmomma13

Answer by stressedmomma13 at 12:40 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• Yes we home-school, and the reasons are too numerous to list. I love the family bonding home-schooling allows. As for the social aspects, my kids get plenty of social time. We are part of a large and diverse home-school group that meets at-least weekly. Both my boys were enrolled in karate until recently when we could no longer afford it. But they are still young, and next year they will both be enrolled in a sport of their choosing.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 4:49 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• Yes, we have home schooled since my oldest was in second grade. We were not happy with the public school situation where he was attending and felt that home school was a better option for us. A child in his class had a "phobia" of school and the teachers spent the year controlling her- often restraining her in a bean bag- instead of teaching the others. We joined a local home school group and participated in lots of activities ranging from chorus to tennis to art lessons and 4-H. The oldest two participated in the state home school association's graduation ceremony and are now in college. I plan to continue with the other children as long as they are not having any problems with the home school environment. I do encourage interaction with other families who are in your area if possible. The variety of curriculum and materials now is also conductive to learning and my oldest even won a National Space Grant Scholarship Award.
    minasmama6

Answer by minasmama6 at 10:50 AM on Sep. 13, 2010