Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can I get some info from mom's in wa state

I need some help. My mom is 77 yrs old and is not doin well. Several years ago I left the washington state area and I am now trying to relocate back home.I woud prfer the western side of washingtn state only becaue that is where my mom is located. She lives in Shoreline wa. I am wondering if you know of any programs that can help me get back home. I am planning to drie and want o leave WV in late Oct. I know this is late but Iam going to need to get the cash together I am currently on dsablilty due to being legally blind. I would also like some help findig out who may have a short waiting list for housing. I am not asking for finacial help just some knowledge.

Answer Question

Asked by dynameteduck at 11:13 PM on Sep. 11, 2010 in Money & Work

Level 13 (1,198 Credits)
Answers (9)
  • Well I just have a few questions. I've been in Tacoma area for 5 years now so I might be able to help you with finding information. if your mom is really really sick then the Red cross may be something to look into. You could also save some money by going to churches and salvation army for food donations if you are able to, and that way you can save the money you would normally use for food to drive. If you are legally blind, would you be able to drive that far? And what kind of gas mileage does your car get? We drove from WA to TX and it cost us about $400 in gas and we get 19mpg highway. Where are you trying to get housing, like housing assistance or what? I know a lot of houses are going for pretty inexpensive rent now, and you can get a decent 1 bedroom apartment for pretty cheap too depending what city you want to live in.

    Answer by AprilDJC at 11:26 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

  • I won't be driving my son and my boyfiend will most likely be. My mom has basically given up on life. She hardl eats adn won't get out of bed or even sit up in bed. I am on disability due to my blindness I am ot sure of the mileage since we just got it recently it is a used vehicle and is very old. I didn't know if she would be considered sick enough due to I believe it is serious depresson due to being completell bed ridden. I would need a two bedroom due to suffering from anxiety and am unable to live alone. I am considering tocoma and possibly olympia.

    Comment by dynameteduck (original poster) at 11:33 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

  • AprilDJC

    Answer by AprilDJC at 11:34 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

  • Olympia is a MUCH nicer area than Tacoma. Would you be needing housing assistance, or just looking to rent on your own? That link above was for Seattle area.

    Answer by AprilDJC at 11:35 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

  • I contacted the seatle housing authority and they say the waiting lis for seattle is 2-5 years and that includ if you are disabled. I will need housing help for sure I would love to go to Olympia I was born and raised in Seatle but I have been gone since 1994.

    Comment by dynameteduck (original poster) at 11:50 PM on Sep. 11, 2010


    I don't know the wait list on those, but maybe that will help. here is Tacoma's also:

    Answer by AprilDJC at 11:52 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

  • thanks so much for your help

    Comment by dynameteduck (original poster) at 11:57 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

  • No problem. Feel free to send me a message if you need any other information.

    Answer by AprilDJC at 11:59 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

  • I think you have me covered. I will check these out. I think I checked out king county housing authory.

    Comment by dynameteduck (original poster) at 12:34 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.