DOES ANYONE SUFFER FROM SOCIAL ANXIETY?

I DO ! IT TRYS TO RUIN ME. IF I GET AN INVITATION TO SOMEONES HOME FOR A PARTY IE. IF I GET IT ON MONDAY AND THE INVITE IS FOR THE WEEKEND. I OBSESS ABOUT IT ALL WEEK WITH DREAD. IT DOESN'T MATTER IF IT IS TO SOMEONES HOME I KNOW. WHAT DO YOU DO ABOUT TRYING TO OVER COME THIS ANNOYING NIGHTMARE IF ANYTHING?

ANGEL570

Asked by ANGEL570 at 11:29 PM on Sep. 11, 2010 in Health

• Have you ever tried writing down your fears, obsessions etc that make you anxious? I do that to overcome the anxiety of family parties that I have no choice and HAVE to attend. it helps.
    BlacksheepSati

Answer by BlacksheepSati at 11:30 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• I've had to face those fears head on. 5 years ago I got hired for an internship and worked with a group of very outgoing people with very strong personalities and though I loved the work I hated the socialization. Sometimes I would literally hide in the bathroom when it got to be too much and I dreaded the group events. But I kept at it and I've been a paid employee there for 3 years now. I had to learn to just suck it up, and shake off the embarrassment I'd feel when I felt like "I made myself look stupid" cuz in the end it really wasn't even true. I'm still the anti-social one at work but it no longer gets in my way of getting what I want. I'll never have a super strong personality and I'll never be the social butterfly but as long as I'm confident enough in myself to stay motivated it doesn't bother me as much. You just have to find what works for you and keep at it. It's hard, but possible!!
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 11:37 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• I always come up with an excuse not go to things like that.
    queen.bee

Answer by queen.bee at 11:48 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Are you a deep thinker,sensitive,emotional,creative then your personality plays into this illness,because you say you Obsess about things makes me think you have a vivid imagination.I'm all of the above and I have problems with social anxiety,except mine is more like a mistrust of others,because I get hurt easily which is the sensitivity,it's hard for me to socialize with others.You can try to manage on your own but the best solution for this is medication,I think it's called Effexor.
    countingsparows

Answer by countingsparows at 12:13 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• Yes I think so.. (above: i am sensitive, emotional!)
    My anxiety effect my stomach with the constant urge to use bathroom when i dont need too.
    Being around my dh/ dd/ mom.. I am usually OK going places. traveling.. But my inlaws love doing stuff with us.. and it makes it so hard. I love them around but for whatever reason my anxiety goes NUTS! So when I do "suck it up" my trip is usually ruined by stress/anxiety..

For example TONIGHT! My DH went to inlaws tonight-cause tomorrow DH is helping FIL w/something in the AM. DD went with them to hang out with my MIL.. I stayed home! :( It upsets me cause tomorrow I could spend the whole day with my MIL & get some 'bonding' time in with her & my daughter.. But my anxiety I know its not even worth it cause the hour drive to their house would suck! The night sleeping would suck! The 10hrs id be alone with my MIL would suck! Even if i was enjoying myself.. Id be in misery!
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 2:37 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• I do! You are not alone. I feel the same way. I dont know if you know about
    socialanxietysupport.com you will find alot of people that feel the same way.
    Seterah1010

Answer by Seterah1010 at 3:53 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• I do. I hate talking to people face to face. I don't answer my phone if its a number I don't recognize... I'm very introverted and self conscious. I hated being called on in class, even if I knew the answer. Even on facebook, I feel weird commenting on things. Here is one of the only places I can feel comfortable with speaking out, but there are times even here I second guess what I want to say... So I am socially anxious, yes. Very much so, lol.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:05 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• Me! I hate it. Going shopping is a nightmare for me. Going to someones house, even walking into a gas station to pay for gas..I hate it.
    MissAlisabeth

Answer by MissAlisabeth at 12:08 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• I do. I deal with it by forcing myself to go out. Before the party, I take the time to put myself together, take some deep breaths, and remind myself that I'm going to see friends I adore. I try to remember that once I get over the initial shock, I'll probably have a good time. When it gets to be too much for me, I excuse myself to the restroom to take some deep breaths and center myself again. If I absolutely cannot handle it, I'll stay another five minutes before allowing myself to leave.
    The more I push myself to go out, the easier going out becomes. I'm still terrified of crowds and don't always make it through the whole gathering, but I have less full blown panic attacks in public.
    You just have to work at it. Make a list of reasons you don't want to go out. Make a list of all the positive reasons to go.
    flitpixie

Answer by flitpixie at 1:00 PM on Sep. 12, 2010