Scary Halloween with toddlers??

I wanna know who is in my boat on this subject: If you have young kids of your own or that frequently visit, should you have out the scary things that normally come out with Halloween? I personally ask my friends to unplug the scary crap unless they just want to have me leave the kids with them every time they get spooked! Now I'm not saying nothing scary is ever allowed to come near my kids but I am saying that a toddler is very subjectable to what is around them and I dont think they should be walked through haunted houses/hayrides or allowed to watch Freddy VS Jason. Whats a good age for kids to understand its all just for show? No idea myself. I buy funny Halloween decor and try to show them something is fake when we get around it. Granted I have only been doing this 2yrs but shoot, I know where I stand. Whats your opinion? Do you take your kids out and scare em for fun? Anyone have a tough kid that laughs?

MommaWoods

Asked by MommaWoods at 11:32 PM on Sep. 11, 2010 in Just for Fun

• My DD HATES halloween. We cannot go to the back of our local Target, because she will freak out. All of our friends know this, and they will curb the scary when we are there. She is 5, and even though we do tell her they are fake, they are not real and cannot hurt you, she is still scared. Funny thing about fear, you cannot control what they are afraid of, or make them get over it faster. It just comes with time and knowledge. Our real friends understand and do not mind. We usually do not do parties like that. We go to our Church's Trunk or Treat every year, and DD just has me or DH walk to the "scary" trunks.
    RheaF

Answer by RheaF at 11:36 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Too each their own but MY kids love that type of stuff. We love to scare and be scared, my kids know those things are not real. I personally wouldn't unplug a single thing, if you don't like it then you have the option of just not coming to my house
    JAJA_Steele

Answer by JAJA_Steele at 11:36 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• the first year we took our son trick or treating he was scared shitless....there was one guy...he was actually dressed up sittin on his porch and when people walked up he would start a chain saw....it scared the crap out of my son....i thought my husband was gonna deck the guy......but once all was calm the guy turned his outside lights on....took off his mask and shook my son's hand....after that he was happy. he was 2 when this happened..and the following year he remembered the house....and giggled running up to the porch telling the guy to scare him...basically if u play it cool they will...if the are truly scared don't force it...if it's a person see if they'll show their real face to show it's just a person being silly..
    AustinsMommy306

Answer by AustinsMommy306 at 11:37 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• I was never really aware of the scary stuff until I had kids, now I don't appreciate it. It upsets me that there have to be big scary things up in regular stores and on billboards around Halloween time, I want to be able to shop and drive somewhere without my kids getting freaked out. I definately don't scare them on purpose. I made the mistake of taking my 3 year old into a Halloween store looking for a costume for him, I'll never do that again, but at least in that case I have only myself to blame. I don't appreciate it when it's out in public where people can't avoid it, and I would not take my children to a friends house that was decorated very scary.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 11:37 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• JAJA i totally agree with you. i would NEVER ask someone to take down their decorations...that's really rude in my opinion..would you do the same thing with tacky christmas decorations....no you wouldn't because christmas is a happy holiday....but like the guy that scared my son i just simply asked him to show his real face to let me son know it wasn't real...he's been fine since then...
    AustinsMommy306

Answer by AustinsMommy306 at 11:39 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Well I don't allow my daughter to watch any scary movies because you can't prove that its not real. I do actually encourage the scary stuff at Halloween because its a great opportunity to prove that its just for play. The scary guy in a mask is actually just Grandpa being silly so its not scary. It also reenforces the idea that Mom and Dad aren't going to let anything bad happen. We did this from a very young age and we've never had a problem. If anything really got to her we avoided it in the future but I can't think of anything that did. Now she's 4 and she has to be the rational mind for my 8 year old brother who freaks at every little thing. Think. I taught her that spider's might be gross but if you don't want it near you you just move, its not scary. She's level headed for it and knows that she is in control of her situation. She's never going to be the type to freeze up and scream instead of doing something pro-active.
    GoldenLinds

Answer by GoldenLinds at 11:40 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• JAJA: yeah my nephew loves to be scared/spooked. and my kids like when I creep up on em. I'm more against the murder scenes and decaded hookers decorations. And my friends offer to unplug or tone down the gore right after I call to say I heard they had some nasty dead dudes every where and I didnt want my kids freaking out and causing a scene. Normally, I end up laughing and saying "If you dont mind then, yeah be right over!". I havent seen my sons get scared over seeing something- its more like "Owww" and "Ewww". They have nightmares and the worst thing I bring around is the vacuum. I think every kid is different and a friend you would like to have over says the kids will be a scene then maybe itd be ok to unplug a few things for one night. Pretty sure it wont kill anyone to be nice to a toddler.
    MommaWoods

Comment by MommaWoods (original poster) at 11:47 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• also, I am all for being rude when it comes to protecting my youngins. :) Totally proud to be THAT Momma. I dont go out of my way to enforce rules but I do take people up on their offers.
    MommaWoods

Comment by MommaWoods (original poster) at 11:50 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Well I do agree every child is different, and if they offer to tone it down for you then I think that is a great thing they are doing for you and your kids. I can completely see where you are coming from but I also see my perspective as we are a halloween loving family so the scarier the better :-)
    JAJA_Steele

Answer by JAJA_Steele at 11:52 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• :) Good deal, I like scaring the big kids. I have a soft spot for the 2ft fat ones though lol.
    MommaWoods

Comment by MommaWoods (original poster) at 11:56 PM on Sep. 11, 2010