Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

4 Bumps

Is there any law that forces an unwed pregnant woman to keep the father updated? Or are you not bound by any law until paternity is established??

I'm about 28 weeks pregnant and I left the father not long after I found out the news! He now wants to play a visitation/custody game and I don't want any contact with him until it needs to be that way!

----I don't know what the proper category would be to put this in? I'm just looking for advice!

Answer Question

Asked by chnkymommy at 11:35 PM on Sep. 11, 2010 in Parenting Debate

Level 2 (6 Credits)
Answers (20)
  • Well I'm sure it could be different by state. But I'm almost positive you can ignore him and not have anything to do with him until he has paternity established - after the birth. You'll need to talk with an attorney in your state. That's the only way to know for sure.

    Answer by Katt709 at 11:38 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

  • I agree with Katt709. I don't think there is anything for him to play vistation with because the baby isn't here yet. I don't think there are any laws that can force you to have contact with him.

    Answer by Cindy18 at 11:46 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

  • What does your attorney say? Sounds like you're gonna need one.

    Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 11:46 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

  • I don't believe that there is anything that he can do until the baby is born and then he will have to request a paternity test and he will have to pay for that. My sisters ex decided that he didnt want anything to do with her or her pregnancy and recently decided to take his visitation since he was petitioned from the child support agency to take a paternity test and pay child support. Unfortunately if he does want to be in your childs life you will more than likely have to see him and put up with him unless you can get something in your custody/visitation order that someone else will be dropping off/picking up the baby. I would suggest getting a lawyer ASAP if you think you are not going to be able to come to a civil agreement without intervention. good luck

    Answer by foxracing43701 at 11:58 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

  • As far as I know, until the baby is born and paternity is established, the father of the baby has no rights to know anything or have anything to do with the pregnancy...which is why mother's have the right to abort the child regardless of the father's feelings. However, like the other posters suggested, sounds like you need to get in touch with an attorney because once that baby is born, seems like you're gonna have to deal with him.

    Answer by Ash9724 at 12:06 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

  • He can go to the state and order paternity. I suggest you think about your reasons for why you are doing this. First off, they can deny you medical assistance due to lack of cooperation if there is no dad on the birth certificate...happened to me. Also, what about family health history? Don't you want to know? What about child support? Don't play the martyred single mom if you don't want dad on the bc.
    I have been through this, so don't take this as mean, please! He can go get a lawyer and petition you, you may end up having to pay some of his attorney fees. Most states will pay for a man to establish paternity because they ant dad on the bc, to hold him responsible. Be careful, this could backfire on you.

    Answer by Musicmom80 at 12:52 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

  • lol but as far as your pregnancy, no he can't make you do anything. But think this out, while you have the time! Good luck.

    Answer by Musicmom80 at 12:53 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

  • Differs by state in AZ not until paternity is established

    Answer by hot-mama86 at 2:23 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

  • If your not married he has no rights..even if he is on the birth certificate...bottom line is he needs to go to court and get visitation and even then he needs to have a place to call home to have visits....

    Answer by togo90210 at 2:24 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

  • as the birth parent he does have certain rights, actually, he just has to persue them thru Court. You didn't make the baby on your own, you had help.

    Answer by Zoeyis at 5:40 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.