ARE YOU A CHILD ABUSE SURVIOR?

MY QUESTION IS REALLY SIMPLE. DOES ANYONE BELIVE ,HONESTLY, THAT YOU CAN PUT THE PAIN, TORMENT, STARVATION, BROKEN SMASHED NOSE, KNOCKED OUT TEETH, NO SELF ESTEEM BEHIND YOU AND MOVE ON AND LIVE A LIFE AS IF NONE OF THIS EVER OCCURED? NEXT , DOES ANY ONE THINK THAT THESE TYPE OF THINGS CAN ALTER & DAMAGE YOUR LIFE? MAYBE YOU DO TRY REAL HARD TO OVER COME AND BUILD YOURSELF A LIFE OF YOUR ON BUT YOUR TRAMA WAS SUCH YOU NEVER QUITE GET THERE MENTALLY?

ANGEL570

Asked by ANGEL570 at 11:50 PM on Sep. 11, 2010 in Health

• I thnk someone can get past these things. you will always have emotional scar tissue. But you can learn to heal. I am a survivor of physiccal and sexual abuse as a child. It was not til I was 30 that I realized I was still allowing my abuser to abuse me in my own mind by allowing those things to be destroying my life . with that realization and the realization that it was NEVER MY FAULT. I got in to therapy and worked to heal and move on. it isnt easy.
    BlacksheepSati

Answer by BlacksheepSati at 11:54 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Yes I do! I have and it took time and alot of healing. Takes forgiveness as well on the abused persons part in order to heal completely. Good luck and prayers are sent your way. I still deal with low self esteem but my husband helps alot. As for the rest, I decided I wouldn't be like those people (the abusers) my children deserve better and I can be better
    mrseljuri

Answer by mrseljuri at 12:01 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• I wasnt physically abused but mentally n emotionaly yes, it has been 12yrs & i still find it hard the person w/did this to me was my mother& grandmother, i still have so much hate for the things that they did to me but i am now a mother ,its my kids who have helped me be a better person and not be as sad n hurt& angry as i once was, im still not too sure if i have forgiven them because i will never forget but i just thank God for my kids because it is them who have made me a better person, i will never put them n do to them what my family did to me.
    gabby06

Answer by gabby06 at 12:17 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• I suffered from every type of abuse besides sexual. I just have moved on and realized I'm a better person, and I know I will never allow that type of person to be alone with my child and because of that my dad never sees my child, and my mom is not allowed alone with him. I have moved on, my mom knows why she isn't allowed to be alone with him, she cries about it a lot. I have forgiven her but it shows that I haven't forgot.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 12:30 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• my abuse was sexual, my own father and i feel like i got through it. i wont forget it but i dont let it hang over me or ruin what i can hae from my own life.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:42 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• No I try but sometimes it comes up at night and at random times. I seem to be remembering more as time goes on. I was really young. I asked my mom some questions and she said "you remember that?" (not the actual incident but babysitters houses, places) Things that most kids wouldnt remember that young.
    Seterah1010

Answer by Seterah1010 at 3:39 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• It's been almost 10 years since I got out of an abusive home and I still live it every day (low self esteem, nightmares, etc.). I've come a LONG way thanks to self help books, friends, and family, but I think it's almost impossible to actually live a totally normal life after abuse. It changes you at least a little, for better or worse. I can't really go into more details right now because I'm about to fall asleep and I'm lucky to still be typing lol. But if you want to talk tome time, or ask me questions or anything like that, feel free to send me a message.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 4:51 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• It takes a great deal of time and determination, but yes, you absolutely can make a great life for yourself past the pain of your childhood. I cannot speak for everyone but I can tell you my work to get past it is ongoing. Every day I remind myself that I'm not that little girl anymore and that those that hurt me are far away.
    I got lucky and have a very understanding husband who has been helping me work through everything. I had friends growing up who knew what was happening and taught me that families don't really function like mine did.
    The scars on my body are fading slowly with time, but the emotional ones are still there. I will always remember what I've been through but it gives me a clear outline of what I want for my son. I have a long way to go, but every day is a victory in my corner.

If you ever need someone to talk to, just pm me. Remember, you're not alone in this.
    flitpixie

Answer by flitpixie at 12:51 PM on Sep. 12, 2010