Did you know that once you start High Blood Pressure medicne you can't stop?

The other day I went off my dose and my blood pressure went sky high like 171/101 it's normally 141/80 and I'm on two doses 360 mg.!!And my blood pressure is still high.My body has gotten used to the pills so I guess they are wearing off, that's why my blood pressure is 141 and not 113 or some other low or normal range number.Anyone else know they have to take these pills till they die?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:53 PM on Sep. 11, 2010 in Health

• op, you are right, mostly. your body has become used to the medication. you could never quit those pills cold turkey. you would have to work very hard on lifestyle changes, and then find a dr. that is willing to work with you on getting off of your medication.
    it is not as simple as waking up one day, quit taking your pills and eating right and working out.
    good luck
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 3:13 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• There are eight main ways you can control your blood pressure.

They are:

Eat a better diet, which may include reducing salt
    Enjoy regular physical activity
    Maintain a healthy weight
    Manage stress
    Avoid tobacco smoke
    Understand hot tub safety
    Comply with medication prescriptions
    If you drink, limit alcohol

http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/HighBloodPressure/PreventionTreatmentofHighBloodPressure/Prevention-Treatment-of-High-Blood-Pressure_UCM_002054_Article.jsp
    Maureen-MD

Answer by Maureen-MD at 11:59 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• BullShit.

There are life style changes you can make that will lower your blood pressure naturally. Like regular exercise, a healthy diet low in sodium, removing stressors - or joining a yoga or meditation group that will allow you to destress.
    Maureen-MD

Answer by Maureen-MD at 11:56 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Not true. Maybe for some people, but for the majority of people just diet and lifestyle changes will be enough to maintain healthy BP. For me it was pregnancy, my BP stayed high after delivery so I had to be on meds for a couple weeks, that's it. Now it's back down to normal. The goal with BP meds is to get you to a healthy BP while learning how to lower it on your own, and then go off the meds.
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 1:35 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• It does depend perhaps on the person.

Years ago Id lost weight and went off the HBP medication along with thyroid meds for about 10 yrs..both went nuts recently though and back on it from gaining alot of weight from thyroid trouble again.
    LilyPondOasis

Answer by LilyPondOasis at 2:36 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• idk my Dr hasnt really educated me on this, i was diagnosed at 26 my bp was always 140/110 or around there she sd that if i lost 15lbs she would get me off the meds, now last week i went back for my refills n my bp was controled n she ends up switchingmy pills because of the side effects n gives me something w/a higher dosage, i dnt get how she was going to get me off of them, my mother has always had hbp n she has told me that you can control your bp but can never get rid of it, im switching Dr cause so far ive been getting most of my info online.
    gabby06

Answer by gabby06 at 12:10 AM on Sep. 12, 2010