Circumsition on a 13month old??? kinda long sorry! adult content

My sons original Dr never told me anything about pulling his foreskin back everyday. She said to leave it alone. I very slightly pull it back but just to clean it. So after feeling like she wasn't paying attention to my sons other needs I finally switched Dr's but since he's been sick I had to take him to the Urgent Care. The Dr that attended him check him all over and asked why I was pulling his foreskin back. I tell him my story and he says that my son will need to get circumsized because its soooo tight. So either he gets surgery or I force it back and that, if I did that it would cause him lots of pain, so he advised I go with the surgery better. I am so scared and stressed for my lil boy. Most of the ppl Ive asked say not to do the surgery they were told the same and now there boys are ok. I did a little bit of research online and they say to NEVER force the foreskin back.... OMG!!!! So whats the right thing to do???

nessac1987

Asked by nessac1987 at 11:55 PM on Sep. 11, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Hmmm this is a tough one. I had my son circumsized at birth so I have no knowledge of how to care for uncircumsized penises, but if I were you, I would get a 2nd opinion and see what that doctor says. Obviously if you don't want to get him circumsized and can avoid the surgery without causing your son any pain of uncomfortability, than I'd go with that, but if they think that circumsicion will end up being the least painful and least stressful in the long run, then maybe that's the best choice. IMO.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 12:00 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• i got my boys circumsized at birth it was eaiser to take care of
    navywifemomkoch

Answer by navywifemomkoch at 12:00 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• I wanted my son to be circumsized when he was born but didn't have the money to do it after all so I had to back out.... Now I soooo regret it.
    nessac1987

Comment by nessac1987 (original poster) at 12:05 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• When I had DS the DR forgot to come back in a due his circumsition. On the day we were togo home she calls and says she's by the pool having a glass of wine, but will come in for a minute and do the procedure. DH and I said NO WAY!! Six weeks later I took him to Children's Hospital here in New Orleans and had it done. The first night he cried some, but not uncontrollably and we gave him Tylenol. After a few days he was just fine.
    dmbutler

Answer by dmbutler at 12:05 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• Ignore the doctor. He has no idea what he's talking about. An unretractable foreskin on a toddler is completely normal. An unretractable foreskin on a preschooler is no big deal. It doesn't NEED to be able to be pulled back until puberty. This is just a case of a doctor who hasn't kept up with recent recommendations.
    tyrelsmom

Answer by tyrelsmom at 12:10 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• My husband who is not circumsized said to just leave it alone. He said bathtub soaks will help keep it clean. He has never once had a problem with it in all his life. But he is not a doctor, he just knows from experience. I would get a second doctors advice.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 12:34 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• Listen to those WITH EXPERIENCE!!!!! PLEASE!!!
    Not being circumsized is rare in the US.. so drs. dont know it all so well (they are usually cut themself!)
    Just like breastfeeding mommas cannot always take advice from drs/nurses... because they are CLUELESS about it! Cause they have not been around it enough!
    Natural Childbirth is the same thing! Doctors are not use to it.. Drs are use to "knowing" & controlling the process.. NOT in natural childbirth so sometimes they feel a bit lost...

So do some research online.. I bet there are a few groups someone on the net just FOR un-circumsized men & moms who can give real advice.

From what i know (non first hand!).. Never pull the skin back. the only person that should ever pull the skin is the boy himself.. Only he will know when its safe to do so..
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 2:23 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• THANKS A LOT LADIES!!!!! I REALLY APRECIATE EVERYONES FEEDBACK.
    nessac1987

Comment by nessac1987 (original poster) at 3:13 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• Honestly, I think that you don't need to circumcise over this, and I also don't think you should pull the skin back at all. In your shoes, I would do NOTHING. I'd begin to LEAVE THE FORESKIN ALONE, and NOT CIRCUMCISE.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 11:36 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• surgery or I force it back and that, if I did that it would cause him lots of pain, so he advised I go with the surgery better

Because the surgery won't cause him lots of pain?!?!?!?!?!? I'm just dumbfounded, sorry.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 11:43 AM on Sep. 12, 2010