5 week old won't sleep

Any suggestions on how to get my 5 week old to sleep? We have tried all of the normal things: feeding him, changing his diaper, rocking him, swaddling him, taking him for a drive, burping him, singing to him, and walking with him. He's been awake since 9 this morning, it's midnight now, with only about an hour and a half worth of 5-15 minute cat naps today. Aside from the frustration of him not sleeping at all, I'm worried that it's not healthy for him.

Nienna7477

Asked by Nienna7477 at 11:59 PM on Sep. 11, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My DD went through a phase of 48 hour cycles. She would stay awake for about 18-20 hours with maybe 1 cat nap for like 15 minutes. Then she would sleep for like 2 days, then Be up for 2 days,and so on. It sucked for us. But she regulated.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 12:03 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• Call your Doctor. It could be all sorts of things.
    Ruthie170

Answer by Ruthie170 at 12:03 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• Sometimes I recommend bathing him, make it relaxing like you would for yourself. Dim the lights if you can, play soft background music. Here's a big key. You have to be calm yourself or he'll never settle down. babies are hyperaware of our emotions and they feed off of that energy. If you need to take a break and cool down then ask someone to watch him will you meditate or take a bath yourself. Approach feeling refreshed and relaxed and he'll probably settle right down. If you are still concerned the call your doctor.
    GoldenLinds

Answer by GoldenLinds at 12:11 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• were not upset just normal worried that something is wrong with our little guy.
    Nienna7477

Comment by Nienna7477 (original poster) at 12:16 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• Try putting him in the swing, our second son Isaac would not sleep unless he was in the swing, he slept at night in the swing until he was 6 months old, surprisingly the transition went well. We tried, everything, nursing, bath, driving, rocking, bed sharing, nothing worked except the swing. I wasn't sure if he had reflux and the elevation of the swing along with the rocking and the white noise helped. But it sure helped our sanity. Hang in there mama, congratulations and good luck.
    zakityzak

Answer by zakityzak at 12:32 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• He would sleep 6-9 hours through the night in the swing
    zakityzak

• god I wish! My son hates the swing.
    Nienna7477

Comment by Nienna7477 (original poster) at 12:34 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• does he sleep durring the day at all?
    MommieOfOnly2

Answer by MommieOfOnly2 at 12:39 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• he cat naps for 5 to 15 min. but if you add it all up the time he sleeps is under 2 hrs. all day
    Nienna7477

Comment by Nienna7477 (original poster) at 12:42 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• i wish i had a answer for you, my kids had no problems with sleeping im not going to brag or anything so i wont go in to details but man i hope everything works out for you... mabe he is hungry for more food to feel stuffed and ready for a nap? i hate it when people tell me im not feding my kid enugh so that was a hard statement to write! lol
    MommieOfOnly2

Answer by MommieOfOnly2 at 12:45 AM on Sep. 12, 2010