My son has been referred to Early INtervention for Speech Therapy. He starts in a few weeks. Would anyone like to share their experience with me?

My son will be two in a few weeks and can say over 100 words but is not stringing them together in sentences yet.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:05 AM on Jul. 1, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Therapist are some of the greatest people in the world. You are in good hands. They will initially do some testing and probably rate him ..for where he is at and set some goals. It sounds like you have had an early diagnosis sooo all is great. He is getting the help that he needs. And that is what is important.  good luck
    MommasCooCoo

Answer by MommasCooCoo at 10:15 AM on Jul. 1, 2008

• Wow, my daughter turned 2 and can only say about 30-35 words. Consider yourself lucky. My daughter does not need speech therapy. May I ask why your considering it rather than letting him work at his own pace? Most kids really DON'T string words together before the age of 2. Seems a little early to start an intervention program to me...
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 10:31 AM on Jul. 1, 2008

• My son had to do the intervention. My son was born with a cleft lip and palate so he has problems with sounds. If he does need speech therapy will be working on articulation and puting them together. It is great! My son is 3 1/2 and he is doing great! The good thing is they get one on one contact with the therapist! Good luck!
    rbade

Answer by rbade at 10:40 AM on Jul. 1, 2008

• Try giving him Cod Liver Oil by Nordic Naturals which has it flavored. You could also put it in his juice. Most of our children are low on omegas and it's shown to help the brain.Eileen
    EileenMarie

Answer by EileenMarie at 1:32 PM on Jul. 1, 2008

• i had to take my daughter the docter recomended it when i got there they asked me what was i concerned about i said nothing because i didnt and when they seen her they said they dont know why the doc sent her there. But the docters that evaluated her were very nice it wasnt like a test it was more like games and fun so your child should be fine relaxed and calm.
    jaes347

Answer by jaes347 at 3:15 PM on Jul. 1, 2008

• My son has been receiving speech therapy along with other things for about 8 months now. He has not progressed very much with the actual talking but is picking up on the sign language. It sounds to me that he has a good vocublary. They say that kids should start putting 2 words together round age of 2 but all kids learn at a different pace. I would worry if he didn't say very many words, but I would do what you think is necessary. Goo luck!!
    redtang912

Answer by redtang912 at 3:55 PM on Jul. 1, 2008

• My oldest son had Speech for little things. He really enjoyed the one on one time he got from that. It only took about 6 months to work with him and he was on track. It's up to you if you want this. But to be honest, it will not hurt them any and helps speed up learning a little. After speech my son loved to read books to show me what he had learned. Good luck
    tazzyt19

Answer by tazzyt19 at 4:17 PM on Jul. 1, 2008

• My son recently turned one year old and is going to be starting speech therapy and OT on September 11. I'll let you know how he does.
    mmccarty113

Answer by mmccarty113 at 9:47 PM on Aug. 28, 2008