Food as punishment/reward...what do you think?

Of course, I never use it as a punishment. I mean, I guess unless you consider me sending my son to bed without anything to eat if he refuses to eat what I fixed as punishment (I don't).

But as a reward, I admit it, sometimes I do. I mean honestly, if I have to offer my son something he really likes in order to get him to eat--or at least try--his veggies (or just his meal period), I'll do it. Like today his grandmother baked a cake, and he was looking forward to having a piece. I told him he could have some after dinner. As an extra incentive to get him to eat the green beans she cooked, I said he could have his cake after he ate a few of the beans. He ate them and he even said they were yummy. Of course I gave him his cake after that (and I still would have given him his piece even if he hadn't--I'm not that cruel and he was so excited, LOL).

So do you do that?

thatgirl70

Asked by thatgirl70 at 12:20 AM on Sep. 12, 2010 in General Parenting

• There is ALOT of things we dont do/get around here until After a NAP! ;-) lol.. So occasionaly she will ask for a piece of candy for taking a nap & ill say ok, but if its happening often Ill tell her no, she can have computer time or whatever so candy isnt always the treat..

My dd is a picky eater.. so (bad me!) i may just try that eat this (green beans) get that (a few skittles - her fav. candy)... Why didnt I think of it before! ! lol..
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 1:18 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• We will NEVER use food as a punishment. My husband had a couple years he was in a bad situation (in a boarding school in central america for missionary kids) and often went to bed hungry. He said laying awake half the night because you were so hungry you couldn't sleep was far worse than any BEATING he recieved while there. And to take it a step further... if they try a bite and do not like what we are having, they always have the option of a peanut butter sandwhich and baby carrots. (which they fix themselves) No chips, no dessert, but don't have to chose between gagging down something they hate or going to bed hugry.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 12:28 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• Yes I do do that and I think it's a good thing. My DD is 2 and verrryyy picky. But she doesn't exactly know what it means to "eat a bite before u get a cookie" type thing. It's hard, but I try really hard not to give in! lol
    Keeely07

Answer by Keeely07 at 12:24 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• yes i will, but my child dont understand that way yet, he thinks if he sees me eat chips he gets them i tell him he needs to eat first, then he screams and fights with me so i take the chips and put them up in the kitchen till he is done eating
    MommieOfOnly2

Answer by MommieOfOnly2 at 12:27 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• My son isn't old enough to understand using food as a reward, and I don't usually need to bribe him to get him to try anything new. I do use M&Ms as a game to learn his colors, and when he gets the color of the M&M right, he gets to eat it. I guess you would call that a reward :) I don't see a problem with giving a kid something he really likes as a reward. I wouldn't deny him food though. I like karamille's idea of PB&J as the alternative to a meal your kid doesn't like.
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 12:31 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• that sounds perfectly fine as long as your not bribing him with sweets for everything. as long as he doesnt eat aolt of sweets.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 12:36 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• If my 3 year old takes his food and smears it all over the table deliberatley, he's done until the next meal. He will play with his food, feed it to the dog, hide it in the couch etc.....I give them 15 to 20 minutes to eat, If he is still fooling around he's done until the next meal. Believe me, he doesn't starve. He figured it out.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 12:45 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• do you have a picky eater too?
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 12:23 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• The whole " going to bed without dinner" when a child won't eat is not using food as punishment - that's a natural consequence. If you refuse to eat at mealtime, then you feel hungry.

As for using food as a reward? No, not really I don't.
    caseyandkids

Answer by caseyandkids at 9:05 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• my son is extremely picky and I will tell him to eat his veggies and he can have a few oreo's hey if it gets them to eat the healthy stuff why not?
    togo90210

Answer by togo90210 at 11:59 PM on Sep. 12, 2010