Forms of discipline

What do you use to discipline your child(ren)?

Wonderlust

Asked by Wonderlust at 12:25 AM on Sep. 12, 2010 in General Parenting

• Time out, Restriction, grounding, dock in allowance, spank, each punishment will be determined according to the action.

zakityzak

Answer by zakityzak at 12:27 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• depends on what he has done. My son is  7 and most of the things he has done, we will talk to him about it.

virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 12:28 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• My daughter is only 18 months so we use time out and taking toys away. Like tonight, she was frisbee throwing her books at me so all books got put away for the night.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 12:28 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• with my 8 year old same as zakityzac. withmy 4 year old i barely have to say shes done wrong and she just loses it. with my 15 month old the only issue i have is tantrums and i put her in her crib until her tantrum is done. usually pretty quick....2-4 minutes and shes done.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 12:34 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• Time out and small taps on hand and bottom according to the action displayed
    traetay

Answer by traetay at 12:43 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• I have no children yet, but my parents used spanking and when we got too old for that they used hot sauce because neither me nor my brother like really spicy foods, so that got us to crack pretty quickly, of course we usually got it even if we fessed up, but I guess we would just get less. Sometimes they would take everything except clothes and books out of our room, they had to start taking books as well with me because I enjoyed reading so it didn't bother me...then one day, they did it to my brother but apparently his response to my mom was "I have my finger and I have the carpet" and continued to 'draw' on the carpet. We were grounded, and of course had the talks of them being disappointed in our actions as we got older. It all depended on the situation and how old we were.
    dlandrum

Answer by dlandrum at 12:54 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• I use time outs for both my girls. It's just time in a quiet spot to reflect on what they did and what they could have done better. When my girls were younger they would wind up in fits where you couldn't get a word in at all...that wound up with me yelling at them and then they shut down.

I know as they get older time outs may not be as effective but when that time comes we'll look into what WILL work. I do love the choices-consequences disciplinary action. It's basic but is based in reality. For example. You steal something you go to jail. You've chosen to steal something and the consequence was you go to jail. Now I won't be that extreme but they will get to where they can think about an action before they make it. Allow them to be responsible for their actions as well.
    truetigress

Answer by truetigress at 1:52 AM on Sep. 12, 2010