gassy baby

She's a farter.
At her first doc apt.. i talked to the doc about the excessive burping and farting.. she said it was NORMAL because newborns have a lot of air and it needs to come out.
Her next apt.. I talked to her again.. and she said to change the formula .. so now we are on Enfamil Gentlease (for gassy babies)
She is a little over 7 WEEKS old.. She doesn't burp as much - normal at feedings.. a little in between.. But she farts so much, and so loud.. it wakes her up at night.
Is this normal or not ? And .. should I do anything about it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:03 AM on Oct. 16, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It is normal, and there isn't much you can do about it. You are going to get spammed by people telling you to give your baby simethicone gas drops. I wouldn't. Babies sometimes suck in extra air when they are feeding, especially when they are having a growth spurt. I would make sure she is well burped and I would not shake the bottle to mix it, I would stir it so it was less bubbly. I think she will grow out of the gassy thing.
    cdgoldilocks

Answer by cdgoldilocks at 1:07 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• mylicon drops after every feeding will help.

do you use powder formula? if so do you let it sit before feeding it to her? I always made a days worth at a time in a big jug, shake it up well, put in fridge. Shake again right before pouring to bottle. letting the powder have more time to dissolve helps with the gas (my pedi told me this trick)

flutterfae

Answer by flutterfae at 1:05 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• Oh gosh, my daughter was the same way. I used to put little tummies in her bottles when I fed her. Helped her a lot.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:06 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• give her gas drops with every bottle. I used the off brand at walmart and liked them better than mylicon.... both try both if you want. It helped us a lot with gas issues.
    hendrickson

Answer by hendrickson at 1:07 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• We had to change bottles and nipples with mine. She would gulp the formula, and we had to find super slow-flowing nipples and use bottles that helped vent air bubbles from the formula (it's been a long time, I can't remember which ones). Anyways, since she had to slow down and she swallowed less air she didn't have as bad a problem.
    mamapotter

Answer by mamapotter at 1:13 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• mylicon drops will make big gas bubbles into little gas bubbles, but your daughter is at that age right now, where she is learning to beardown, and that is a good thing.. my son at that age was farting so much, and then his pooping habit changed, it went from several times a day to every three days, and i learned that was something that happened, and now he's once a day. He isnt as gassy as he was a month ago, he's only gassy when he's going to pass a nice load for Mommy.. during the day when you are playing with her, take her legs and press them to her chest and that will help get some gas out.. so she wont have much to pass while she's sleeping
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 1:23 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• Gas is a normal biological function. It tells you that the ailimentory canal is working, keeps things moving and helps us to know when what we are eating doesn't agree with us. Perhaps the gas is a result of genetics also? (No finger pulling here....oh i mean pointing.)
    Seriously, unless she is screaming in pain from the gas, don't give her anything. It doesn't work that well anyway. OH except I did use catnip tea when my son had colic, that worked really well.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:28 AM on Oct. 16, 2008