My daughter does not listen to me, what do I do?

She is testing me I know, but now she is spitting and screaming bad! Everyone says she is an angel but once I come around she turns into a brat.

E-Sweetie

Asked by E-Sweetie at 1:21 AM on Oct. 16, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Beat her butt, lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:25 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• I know it is difficult, especially when they are so young, but set consquences and be consistant in carrying them out. It is a battle of stamina. Once she learns that negative behavior earns negative attention and positive behavior earns positive attention the behavior will slow. It may not completely stop, but when it arrises again issue the consequences. Good luck.
    mrssullivan

Answer by mrssullivan at 2:17 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• frustrated1-2-3 Time out

AlohaWahine

Answer by AlohaWahine at 5:11 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• hi , if ur daughter screams means u scream louder than her and say "hey i am louder than u" change her mood to competitive or funny, if she is jumping for any hting means say "wow new style of jumping do it again" like that . add ur own creativity. within couple of days she will stop all her bad activities . i tested it . it worked for me . all the best.
    dilensmom

Answer by dilensmom at 6:20 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• She knows that you love her no matter what. She knows that she can be angry around you. But you can modify her behavior. When she screams or spits, put her down (if you're holding her), and walk away. It's what worked for me with both of mine.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 7:37 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• time out, super nanny style for a child 3 and older. I minute for each year of thier age. continue putting them on the time out spot with out speaking to them, once they have stayed put even while crying for the full amount of mins for their age then you explain why they were in time out and give hugs and kisses! It WORKS!!! I use it.....Good Luck!
    LoganAndKennedy

Answer by LoganAndKennedy at 12:16 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• I strongly believe in the Attention Rule which basically is: they will seek attention, negetive or positive. So give lots of praise when she behaves well and no attention when behaving not so well. Only ignore behaviors when they are not endangering her or anyone else.
    Another great thing to do is give her "her words" which describe how she is feeling. Tell her to use them when she is upset instead of screaming. It works really well.
    gavrilmom

Answer by gavrilmom at 5:23 PM on Oct. 16, 2008