Is this wretched or what?

Normally I would ask a "serious" question, but for once I just want opinions on a vent...

My younger sister just turned 18 and is looking for her own apartment. My family has 2 cats that are now 7 years old. Apparently my parents have decided that the cats are "hers" (meaning my sister's), and she needs to take them with her if she moves out. They know that that is impossible because these cats are 85% outdoor cats and have been all their lives. No apartment complex will allow that. My parents are not disabled, are in fair health, and have taken equal responsibility for feeding/caring for these cats for the past 7 years, but they informed my sister that if she can't take them with her, she needs to re-home them.

Am I being oversensitive, or is this incredibly wretched? I don't think it's right to decide you don't want to care for an animal after 7 years, when you are still perfectly capable. But I digress...

aliceryannesmom

Asked by aliceryannesmom at 1:26 AM on Sep. 12, 2010 in Pets

• It isn't fair to the kitties, or your sister. Not many apartments will even allow cats, and those that do usually charge. If they are accustomed to the outdoors they will want to run outside. They will be confused by new surroundings and probably get hit by a car. I hope your parents reconsider.
    LittleWeloosMom

Answer by LittleWeloosMom at 1:33 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• My parents taught us when we adopted an animal we were to care for them for life, the same way as when you have children. You don't get an animal and then throw it outside/drop it off/shelter it because you get tired of it.
    dmdblleb

Answer by dmdblleb at 1:52 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• Thanks ladies, I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels like this is a horrible move on my parents' part. They have never been gaga over animals, but they have invested as much time/sweat/love into these animals as my sister has since the cats were 2mo old. Using her moving out as an excuse to get rid of them is just heartless and awful.
    aliceryannesmom

Comment by aliceryannesmom (original poster) at 2:18 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• wow. it almost seems like they are trying to bully her to stay. Thats a horrible position to put your sister in. they are making what should be an exciting and mature thing to do into something nerveracking.
    Ysobel

Answer by Ysobel at 2:23 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• You're right, Ysobel, it does seem like they are trying to bully her. I guess I should not be surprised. My parents are notoriously difficult, overprotective, and set in their ways. They can't accept any change - I moved out in about three hours' time one night when I was 19 because they simply would not let me go. They also tried to stop me from getting married, panicked when I moved out of state, and they question everything that anyone does. They are THE definition of stubborn. I think they know that my sister is determined to move out, so they're doing everything they can to feel 'in control' of the decision. Just terrible. :( :(
    aliceryannesmom

Comment by aliceryannesmom (original poster) at 2:30 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• it actually kind of sounds like they are tryin to get her to not move, like if she wants to go then she has to take the cats, but she cant take them, sounds like they are hoping that she wont get rid of the cats and just stay home. but idk your parents.
    DARKxXxangel

Answer by DARKxXxangel at 10:59 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• It is not your sisters obligation, but having said that someone has to give these furbies a good home. I agree this is not right for your parents to do..........it is more than WRETCHED not to mention cruel . Good luck hon trying to find them a home........

zbee

Answer by zbee at 1:27 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• naw ur sis gonna have a hard time animals in apt. that's always a lot of work
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 9:35 AM on Sep. 21, 2010