my 3 year old daughter has been pulling her hair out and you can see where her hair is starting to get thinner. what can i do to stop her??

i dont really ever see her do it so i can only assume that she is doing it when she is not with me, or when she is in bed. iuhave had no help from the doctor. thank you.

Heatherjean2534

Asked by Heatherjean2534 at 1:47 AM on Sep. 12, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My instinct says that at this age its probably a response to some kind of anxiety. You could try setting up a recording device to see when its happening. I might just forget getting your doctor's help and ask for a racommendation to a child psychologist.
    GoldenLinds

Answer by GoldenLinds at 1:59 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• yeah. i have be researching it, and that was one of the possibilities that i saw. but i dont see any reason why she would have anxiety, shes a very happy child. i also saw that it could be a comfort thing, or something they do when over tired. so iahve been trying to make sure she gets a good nap in, but its hard to tell if she has stopped or not. thank you for the advice.
    Heatherjean2534

Comment by Heatherjean2534 (original poster) at 2:02 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• It could have nthing to do with being happy. It might just be that after 5 min. alone in the play room she gets anxious, or she might be waking up at night and not crying out at all and pulling because she feels trapped by the darkness. It could also be a comforting thing like you said. Hope you work it out!
    GoldenLinds

Answer by GoldenLinds at 2:13 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• Try not to call attention to it.
    You might want to put it in pig tails or a pony tail. That way she could not get a hold of the pieces to pull.
    Braids might even be better. How about the braids right next to the head.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 7:52 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• This could be an anxiety elated thing or there are other disorders or issues that can cause kids to do this. She simply may just like to do it and you need to find some slternative for her like clapping hands, tearing paper,rubbing a lovey ect. I would say have her evaluted by a developmental ped or child psycologist if it becoming severe. Good luck!! We have a hair chewer and it drives us batty but it is a symptom of his other issues so we just try and go with it.
    mamallamaof2

Answer by mamallamaof2 at 7:58 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• I used to twist my hair to the point of pulling it out. I dunno how it was finally stopped though. That could be tough if you never actually see it. I agree, it could be anxiety. Does she talk about it when you ask or deny? Ty reassuring her she isn't in trouble you just want to help her.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:02 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• I would let her know that she's not to do that as gently as I could, baring in mind it could just be no more than a passing habit.

zbee

Answer by zbee at 8:51 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• Ask doctor again for a referral to a specialist
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 9:40 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• i would talk to the dr about it. It could be a nervous habit or a serious disorder.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 11:18 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• if you feel her DR isn't helping you, then maybe you need to find a new one...
    asil

Answer by asil at 11:21 AM on Sep. 12, 2010