What do you think of girls wearing boy costume or visa versa?

What do you think of a girl wearing Woody/Buzz costumes?
Or maybe a boy wearing a Dora costume?

Do you think its more OK for a girl to play a boy role, than a boy in a girl role (is it easier seeing a girl be a pirate/dinosaur/hero than seeing a boy dress as dora, jasmine, a balerina?)

I really wanted dd to wear Jessie. And at first she wanted to as well, but the last 2wks she has said she wants to be buzz lighyear..
So we got her a BUZZ costume today!

MommaTasha1003

Asked by MommaTasha1003 at 2:01 AM on Sep. 12, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• Obviously, it's more socially acceptable for a girl to wear a boy's costume than the other way around. As a whole, we've decided that it's wrong for men/boys to show any kind of femininity, emotion, or sensitivity. Personally, I think it's wrong. If my son wanted to dress as a princess for Halloween, I'd let him. And, if my daughter wanted to dress as Woody, I'd let her. I hope to teach them that self-expression is okay, and it doesn't matter what anyone thinks of them as long as they are happy.
    MikeysMom51108

Answer by MikeysMom51108 at 6:32 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• My daughter was Avatar/Aang last year and I thought she was adorable. I agree that if my son asked to be Cinderella I would have some reservations at first. I would get over them and let him have his way. I might not let him dress like a girl any other day of the year until he's older and shown he's mature enough to handle the teasing he'll no doubt recieve. But as a child, if he wants to be a girl on Halloween then what better time?
    GoldenLinds

Answer by GoldenLinds at 2:07 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• they are kids. People should not worry so much.
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 4:13 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• I have no issues with it either way. We let the boys dress up in the princess tuff allt he time and my daughter wears the soldier,cop,whatever costumes all the time as well.
    mamallamaof2

Answer by mamallamaof2 at 7:47 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• I think if that's what they want to wear there isn't anything wrong with it... I would never stop my boys from being a princess if that's what they wanted... It's not going to hurt them in any way and it's fun to pretend...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:31 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• I think it would definitely be easier for me to see a girl in a boy's costume than the other way around. Not sure why that is, but...maybe because it's more common? My daughter LOVES Toy Story more than she loves princesses, and we always have this debate when buying her Pull-Ups. She wants the "boy" ones because they have Woody and Buzz, but it really freaks my husband out. Haha. I don't have a problem with it at all though....but I guess I would have a problem with a boy wanting princess Pull-Ups? LOL what an awful double standard, I know.
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 2:04 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• In all honesty, it is easier to see a girl in boys costumes rather than a boy in girl costumes. But I will let my dd be whatever she wants, and If I ever have a son, he will get to pick too. Its supposed to be fun!
    Morgs7531642

Answer by Morgs7531642 at 2:05 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• It should be fine for the child to wear whatever they want. Honestly though, people look and if I ran into anybody I knew I would be embarrassed. This is the first year I am letting my girls pick out whatever they want (ages 6 and 7) and I will man up and get over my fear of being embarrassed.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 2:26 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• It's easier to see a girl in a boys costume, but I don't really care either way.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 4:25 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• I wouldn't care I always let my child decide most of the time (because the baby would rather run around the house naked lol) because for them it is normal to do stuff like this-I asked my doctor and its how they explore and learn many things and start finding out more about their body and learning to be comfortable in their own skin (self esteem, confidence) Society and many other advertisements have portrayed a false image on child behavior and development and there are people who parent parents and tell them (and I refer to the good parents as the ones who are doing the best damn with the best means that they have) saying that they are wrong when its your kid and who knows them better than u?! My point is let them be kids...
    heartsicksiren

Answer by heartsicksiren at 5:11 AM on Sep. 12, 2010