Just found out our dog has giardia....

I have been looking up info and understand how he may have got it and all that. But I am worried because I have a 7 month old who crawls. He doesn't lick her on the mouth and she doesn't crawl outside where he may potty. Does anyone know what I should be careful about? We are washing blankets and trying to be careful. Has anyone else gone through this? I have been worried all day. The Veterinarian was real busy and had left a message with test results. But I didn't get to ask questions. I just want to make sure baby can't get it.

redwoodhunny

Asked by redwoodhunny at 3:26 AM on Sep. 12, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Ugh. I didn't know animals go this. I have had giardia. It's hard to kick and it is NOT fun! If I were in your shoes, that dog would be OUTSIDE! I don't know how infants with giardia are treated, but I would not want to deal with that kind of diarrhea and risk of dehydration in an infant. Good luck!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 3:41 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• PS, if your dog is walking around where you're infant is crawling, it would be virtually impossible to keep the infant from being exposed to whatever is in the dogs feces.
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 3:42 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• oh no! I am so worried. I just found out today, don't know what to do. Dog can't be outside because we don't have a fenced in yard and its cold. He's really a clean dog though, doesn't mess around in his poo and goes far from the house. But he's in the house and she's crawling around.
    redwoodhunny

Comment by redwoodhunny (original poster) at 3:48 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• 1. Make an appointment and talk this over with your pediatrician.
    2. Isolate the dog in a separate room. Anytime your dog walks outside, his paws might come in contact with feces. That comes in the house. Baby crawls over it, baby puts hands in mouth.... It's not like your baby is eating poop, exactly, but those microscopic germs can get around. This is why I'm not a fan of indoor pets, especially with a baby around.

Good luck!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 4:16 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• http://www.canismajor.com/dog/giardia.html
    SophiaofLight

Answer by SophiaofLight at 7:59 AM on Sep. 12, 2010