HOW DO YOU FEEL ABOUT THIS COMMENT MADE BY IMAM AND THE MOSQUE

"If we move from that location, the story will be that the radicals have taken over the discourse," Rauf told CNN. "The headlines in the Muslim world will be that Islam is under attack.

"There is a certain anger here [in America], no doubt," he said later in the interview. "But if we don't do this right, anger will explode in the Muslim world. If we don't do things correctly, this crisis could become much bigger than the Danish cartoon crisis [over images depicting the Prophet Mohammed], which resulted in attacks on Danish embassies in various parts of the Muslim world. And we have a much bigger footprint in the Muslim world."

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:39 AM on Sep. 12, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Bleh. I am really not liking the idea of walking on eggshells so we don't offend the muslims.
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 4:14 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• He has a point. Besides which he would be giving into another terrorist act by moving it. He is damned if he does damned if he doesn't.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 4:23 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• It is not walking on eggshells to let these people have their mosque. I also agree with hot-mama.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 4:36 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• It sounds like a threat to me. And they are going to hate us and try to kill us if we build that mosque or not. I'm tired of being bullied by the PC police.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:37 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• Like I stated yesterday on a thread, this is what pushed me to the "don't build" side of the argument. I don't like intimidation and threats. The jihadist are going to attack no matter what. Build - don't build, it doesn't matter. The jihadist hate all non-muslims. Our actions don't really matter. We helped them with the war against the USSR and they attacked us anyway. Plus, people against this are called the haters and the fear mongers. I think those labels are better suited for the jihadist and the fear mongering goes to the imam.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 6:42 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• What I can get over regarding all this nonsence is the notion that we can't have a mosque so close to ground zero (despite lots of good Muslims dying that day), but the strip club and the OTB haven't been drummed out of business.

Regarding the Imam's statements - he's right, the extremists would be able to twist the news in that fashion. What the Imam is leaving out is that the extremists are going to twist nearly anything into a "see, the West hates us".
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 7:13 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• Pfft give me a break..the terrorists are going to do what they do regardless of this mosque if its built or not..it isn't like they will suddenly go ..ohhhh Americans have a mosque so close to GZ..yay we lovvvvvve Americans now..please..there is no appeasing..

What is even sadder is this..I could DEFFINITELY see alot of hard core lefties blaming BLAMING those of us against the mosque being built two blocks away from GZ ..IF we were attacked again..

Right now we are called haters..bigots..etc ..and alot of them have already blamed America for us being attacked on 9-11..so ..yep..sad
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 7:28 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• I agree with him and would be very saddened if it is not built! But am just some un-American kid what do I know?
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 8:44 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• I think he is right. It is not a threat, but it will be a nice talking point for the Muslim equivalents of Rush Limbaugh and the rest of the right wing bigots who never shut up. And just like in our country, there is a certain sector that will follow them. Respecting our OWN country's free speech ideals is not PC, or walking on eggshells. It is what we stand for as a country. When we hold it up as our greatest feature and then drop it when convenient it shows that we talk the talk but do not walk the walk.

And to act like this is a threat rather than someone who is saying there may be consequences if we don't stay true to our ideals is just another talking point. You can't act like a bigot and expect people not to care...remember we have been killing Muslims in their countries for almost 10 years. How long to do expect them to go along with it? Especially with our support of Israel?
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 8:45 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• He's right - the anti-community center extremists are behaving EXACTLY like the terrorists they fear so much, launching campaigns of hate and trying to brainwash people with fear. They have forced the issue and turned it into a giant peen waving contest, where neither side will ever willingly back down. Because they refuse to back down and keep attacking, they force the hand of the extremists on the other side, who are just as unwilling to back down. Once that switch is flipped, it really can't be flipped back. Pity so many people had to dabble at being domestic terrorists, because they aren't really committed to the game, and weren't prepared for the consequences of their actions, but everyone gets to pay for them all the same.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:47 AM on Sep. 12, 2010