Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

Do the Courts look the other way if child support isn't paid regularly?

If the paying parent (mom OR dad) can't pay the full amount with causing a personal financial hardship, are they given leniency? I can't see the Court enforcing someone to pay beyond their means and force them to live on the street or starve themselves.

On the other hand if they did, it would be harder to find a homeless person. Maybe thats why they are allowed to pay what they can afford? Any truth in that?


Asked by Zoeyis at 5:55 AM on Sep. 12, 2010 in General Parenting

Level 31 (46,808 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (6)
  • When my DH paid child support he was told that they can take no more than 55% of his paycheck. That's exactly how much they took form him.......he got a lawyer and fought it since he also had a wife and 2 other children to support. The courts didn't care. If he was short on his weekly child support his ex would call the courts and they would in turn send him a letter telling him that if it wasn't paid he could end up in jail. His child support was taken out of his paycheck by his employer......he had nothing to do with how much came out. If less than the amount came out it was because legally they can't take more than that 55%. The courts told him that if the full child support doesn't come out he must send in the rest of it.........I totally agree with child support BUT I think it's ridicules that the person paying then struggles to pay his/her own bills and take care of their own family.


    Answer by colethky at 8:46 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

  • Depends on the judge.

    Answer by RyansMom001 at 6:40 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

  • So true. It depends on the judge and also the enforcement agency and the individual workers.

    Answer by tootoobusy at 7:01 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

  • No courts do not look the other way. But if circumstances change, the parent paying support can petition the court to have the amount lowered.

    Answer by SophiaofLight at 7:08 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

  • @coIe... I guess there could "out of court" agreements made my the parents, in that case. Pay X amt to be legal but she gives some back. Probly a rarity tho

    Comment by Zoeyis (original poster) at 8:50 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

  • not in texas you miss once and they come for your ass

    Answer by twimommy at 10:00 PM on Sep. 12, 2010