What do you think of gender roles today vs in our parent's day?

I think there's alot more equality than there used to be.
Women work side by side with men
more and more dads are staying home and becoming the domestics

Zoeyis

Asked by Zoeyis at 6:12 AM on Sep. 12, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• It has definitely changed in the last two generations. College educated women used to be mostly teachers with a few becoming nurses. Now many are in the business field and many men are becoming teachers. There is a pay gap but I believe mostly that is do to the fact that women are less motivated my money in the workplace once they have children. Women more often then men will accept a job that  pays less but ofters more flexibility and more time at home with kids. However there is no profession that women can't aspire to. 

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 6:34 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• I am 51 years old, the only girl of 4 children, grew up on a farm in eastern NC and had no idea there was a such thing as "gender roles" when I was young. We all did what was needed. My dad changed diapers (clothe ones at that). He cooked, canned vegetables, and he cleaned house. He also drove tractors, worked on equipment, raised crops (eventually going to livestock totally). My mom worked on the farm, kept the books, and did house work. We all, me, my brothers, and my parents just did what was needed. I was expected to barn tobacco along side my brothers. We all took care of the horses we owned and boarded, and everyone cleaned the house. I thought that was just being part of a family. It wasn't "roles". It was living.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 6:38 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• When I was young, my mom groomed me to be a wife and mother. I was taught how to clean a house,cook and sew. School work was put aside since I would never attend college since that is not necessary in becoming a homemaker. Then, when I was 13, my father was diagnosed with cancer. Mom had to go to work and couldn't find a decent paying job with a highschool education. Daddy died 3 years later. Mom began pushing acedemics and then college. I did go to college and in my freshman year so did my mother. Yes, mom and I were in college together. She did get an associates degree in medical transcriptions and found a great job at a local hospital. Her thinking did change based on a drastic change in our family. I've raised my children to do their best in school and follow their dreams. I taught both girls and boys to clean and cook and take out the trash.
    momx3gx1b

Answer by momx3gx1b at 8:20 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• While it has definitely changed, I also think we have lost sight of what is truly important! Women CAN have it all, problem is they are trying to do it all at the same time--and something will inevitably have to be sacrificed in return--be it your marriage, your relationship with your children, or your material things!

I like to think my husband and I "have it all" but we did these things slowly and without sacrificing much. I think we've found the "happy medium" between traditional and modern gender roles.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 12:02 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• So I guess the answer to your question is it depends on the situation. It could be a death or divorce but thinking has changed toward working and staying at home. Have you ever seen the tv show Mad Men? Yes, we have a way to go. As long as you do it with respect, IMHO.
    momx3gx1b

Answer by momx3gx1b at 8:25 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• I do think it has changed but I think there's still a long way to go.
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 7:43 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• equality depends on you. A men will help if you are not afraid to ask. If you marry a jerk than that is what you get!

It all has to do with respect and Love and that is timeless.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 10:10 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• I don't see it as much different. My mom had her own business and worked every day. Really, there are more women now who just want to stay home and raise their family.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 12:36 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• In my family there is no gender roles specific. My dh and I raise our son together. We both get up through the night with him, always have. We both changed diapers, etc. We both work and bring in a paycheck. My life as wife, mom, and teacher did not suffer. I can do it all b/c I have a husband who supports my decision and is truly a partner in in his family.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 5:29 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• the only time Ireally think about it is when talking about my dad ... he would've been a FABULOUS nurse (he truly is, its his natural instinct)... he is a GREAT massage therapist BUT went through A LOT of jobs to get there....
    unfort... in the 70's men were NOT nurses...
    so now a days he would've had a chance to follow his calling...
    which is a pretty cool thing.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 5:39 PM on Sep. 12, 2010