Should they revamp high school a bit?

Personally I think HS should be more like college, where you pick a major or specialty (or trade) your interested in studying, rather than the "well-rounded" thing we forget most of anyway. Thats a huge waste of time imho. But that way when they do start college they are familiar somewhat with how it works and most likely won't forget what they learned as much.

Do the well-rounded stuff in the lower grades to give basic knowledge, but as they approach the adult years, start giving them some focus on the future.

Zoeyis

Asked by Zoeyis at 6:59 AM on Sep. 12, 2010 in

• I can see your point but even many college-bound students don't know what major they want to pursue.

I personally think the entire educational system needs revamping!
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 7:59 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• The hs level needs to be revamped but not to be like college. Not all high schoolers go on to college. Not everyone knows what they want to do after high school, as far as a career. Heck, I am 39 and just figured out what I really wanted to do. Kids need to be taught how to study, take notes, write a paper..different types of papers. They need to learn how hard college really is and that they don't get their hands held in college and that mommy and daddy can't fix things with the instructors when they mess up. They also need to learn time management and that when an assignment is due that is when it's due and if it's not turned in they lose the points and their grades will suffer. They also need to be required to do community service in order to graduate. And to stay on a sports team, they have to maintain good grades.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:58 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• Well I know when I was in high school I had no idea what I wnted to do with my life. I couldn't have picked a major or anything. How could they know what they want to be
    jamiethornton26

Answer by jamiethornton26 at 8:21 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• we had our "base" classes and you were able to choose electives based on what you liked... for example my senior year i had english and history... the rest of my day was in band and art classes that I picked. i guess maybe that we are lucky to only have the "basics" and that we were able to follow what we liked... they had advanced science, math, auto classes, cooking, design, art, drama, music... and more!
    asil

Answer by asil at 11:28 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• That is how they do it in Europe! I like it.
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 12:55 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Good points all. I just don't think they need to continue with some topics that most of us forget shortly after graduating. Thats a waste of time and resources.
    Zoeyis

Comment by Zoeyis (original poster) at 11:07 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• here we have a great technical program, or even a school kids can go to. My youngest brother did it for medicine & it gave him a great start (he's 20 & in school now)
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 3:15 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• I don't know how public schools do high school. I went to a Catholic high school that had a liberal arts bend. I barely had any electives because all my courses were required to get into college. My senior year I only had 1 elective (orchestra). The other classes were required to graduate or to get into college.
    I also went to a liberal arts college and retook many of the same courses for college credit. They were required for any degree and had to be taken first before we could take classes for our majors. Some I found so boring (like Art Appreciation--I had just taken Art History my sr. year and music appreciation--after 4 years of orchestra I knew all that stuff) but I took and aced them for credit to graduate (easy As, I actually slept through the art class every day).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 3:27 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• I love that my daughter, who is attending an urban public high school, is getting a well-rounded education, and is being exposed to British literature, college level classes, improving her writing and critical thinking, and getting prepared for success at any university.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:20 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• In HS we had to pick a program. Like they had Woodshop, Ag, Business, College Prep, or just the regular I believe. I did some business, and was an art major, and ended up in nursing, lol. You could also go to Votech to do things as well.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 10:23 AM on Sep. 13, 2010