What to do if you don't like their boyfriend or girlfriend?

what should you do if you don't like your teenagers choice of boyfriend or girlfriend. How much is too much parental involvement once they start to date?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:09 AM on Oct. 16, 2008 in Teens (13-17)

• well most likely you'll not like any one that they date for one reason or another because the simple fact that you're the mom and you'll always worry, just trust that you've taught them well and trust there judgement, step in if this person gets out of line, etc...
    workenmom

Answer by workenmom at 2:12 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• What she said, but also, I have always looked at it this way::::If someone is dating your child, then the bf/gf becomes like a second child, so you have the right to step in and tell this kid if they do something you dont like with or around your kid.
    cloud144

Answer by cloud144 at 2:23 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• I agree. I think that the worse thing you can do is tell your child that they can not see this person. Because what will happen is they will go behind your back and then you will not know what is going on. If something happens then you child will not come to you.

I would be honest and tell them how you feel about there choice and I would let them know that you are there if they ever want to talk.

Good Luck
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 10:02 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• Have a 17 year old and we dont like her boyfriend either . I always joke with her and tell her when he comes I am going to play that country song that says " I will be sitting here up all night just cleaning my gun" lol. I think the more you dont like something or someone just makes them like them more lol....Wish I knew the answer to that one myself.....
    bambigrand

Answer by bambigrand at 10:59 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• I really don't care for my DD17's boy friend. But I dont say anything to her. I dont ask how hes doing or what hes been up to. I know that she will outgrow him soon enough. She knows when I really like one of her friends cause I will always put my in front of his name. Hows my Ivan doing? Tell my Ivan I said hello!
    Esmrlda

Answer by Esmrlda at 3:13 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• Honestly if you try to interfere in this department you'll be met with TOTAL rebellion. I remember!! I thought my mom was stupid and that I knew what I was doing. Know what happened? I got raped by my bf. Just watch carefully and don't say anything too mean.
    Anonymous

• As long as there's no evidence of abuse you really shouldn't intervein. As long as you've raised your teen to your best ability they will be able to make appropriate decisions. Just trust them. Try to get to know the bf/gf, maybe you just missed judged them.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 8:23 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• Well hopefully this is just another name to her boyfriend list. I think u should try and see what she likes about him. If her behavior or school changes into negative feedback then I would intervene and deal with her tantrums. U also got to remember teen boys lack pretty much all maturity... Just hope she doesn't bring up wanting to marry this guy...
    mrsfarris

Answer by mrsfarris at 10:42 PM on Oct. 16, 2008