is it true that only a 1/4 of the children in our system are up for adoption and that most of those handicapped or have mental problems?

Why are more kids not adoptable if it is? Why are most of the kids not adoptable?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:55 AM on Sep. 12, 2010 in Adoption

• My parents were foster parents for years while I was growing up. The idea is that the bio parents get so many chances to get their kids back that once they have screwed up bad enough to loose their rights the kids are older and out of that "oh so cute" window, and often times pretty messed up from spending so much time in and out of the system. The kids who are handicapped or have mental issues are dubbed "special needs" and they are harder to place as fosters much less adopt. My little brother was a special needs foster that we got at 3 weeks old. His bio mom was able to drag it out for over 5 years before my parents could adopt him. (Bio Dad was one giving drugs to the baby & molesting the other two kids, bio mom claimed to have no idea why his heart stopped 7 times in 3 weeks.)
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:11 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• I would imagine because the system is designed to reunite kids and bio parents if at all possible
    You_Are_Invited

Answer by You_Are_Invited at 7:59 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• Why would these question be made anonymous?
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 8:01 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• I haven't researched it or anything but some friends of mine chose to adopt from China because it was so hard to get a healthy young child or infant in the US. They looked into it and decided since they had the means to do a foreign adoption they would. Our system give numerous chances to these parents and the kids have to be in foster care for X percentage of the past 2 years to have the parents rights taken away. (I don't remember the numbers they said) They weren't interested in fostering because they didn't like the idea of loving a child then having to 'return' them. They felt that would be to hard on their other children.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:06 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• No. Look, over 65% of all adoptions done from American families are actually children in foster care. China for a perfect baby? First, no such thing as perfect. Second, even if matched with an infant it willl be a LONG time before that child comes home. Most likely not a new born baby. And most international adoptions are children who have special needs. When people talk out their ass and say IA is easier......it is a sign that person has mo idea what they are talking about. Less than 1/3 are IA's. Then there is kinship adoptions and very common step parent adoptions. Somehow we dissmiss the last two as Important because it is seen as family. Many women "choose" their parents or siings to parent their children. As far as foster care the goal is to reunite a child with bio family if possible. You can give excuses as to why you do not choose foster care....and I believe in your right to choose the rout best for you,
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 9:09 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• But what I know is that any family who wants to adopt - there is a child in foster care who has needs you can meet. All you do is be honest with the case worker about what you can or cannot do. In our first adoption, IDA, I was not ready for that particular process. Now I think we are. And I had to be honest about I could do at that time. If the only thing that stops someone from the fost adopt program is rumors of only mental illness or handicaps - then you are missing out on a lot of love. By the way, I know many kids who are healthy and available in foster care right now. I volunteer to speak to foster parents every month. Their kids are too cute, smart, funny. The only issue I see - finding parents who are as smart as these kids and who can keep up with their activities and interests.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 9:17 AM on Sep. 12, 2010