What kind of world are we creating?

When campaigning began the US was in agreement that we did not want to continue the war.Our disagreement with Bush was his military policy. 43% of the US budget is military spending. If we need to make cuts lets start there!World military spending was 1 trillion last year, 1/2 was US. Everyone else spends 1-3% of their budget. So who are we fighting?? Our military spent over 4700 billion in the last 10 years. Did you know we have a nuclear budget of 29 billion last year? I assumed that since we are so hell bent on no one else having it that we weren't continually upgrading ours. We all want a clean world, let's spend that money developing a sustainable economy and environment! It's our money!!

sherry729

Asked by sherry729 at 3:04 AM on Oct. 16, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• Amen!
    But, beyond writing our congress person, how can we the people have any effect on the military budget? There's no vote. We have no direct say in the matter. All we can do, as far as I am aware, is elect representatives that want what we want... And that's where things get tricky.
    CluelessCarrie

Answer by CluelessCarrie at 4:47 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• Do you know how much it takes to build a new Aircraft Carrier? Or to replace that humvee that was destroyed by an IED or provide armor for our troops? That stuff isn't cheap. Our military is CONSTANTLY updating their equipment and each year that gets more and more expensive, why because the Government contracts out to have these new machines built. My FIL works for one of these companies that puts in bids for the government to choose their weapon system. Ever heard of Northrup Gromman? I would rather our troops be completely protected with the latest technology and weapons systems when the terrorists are constantly updating their attack tactics.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:31 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• I would rather we never went to Iraq in the first place, and I would rather our troops come home, but we don't have a say in that, do we? Anon, my husband works for one of the largest government contracted weapons manufacturers. I know how much money is put into defensive and offensive equipment. What would have protected our troops most effectively would have been to not send them there in the first place.
    And none of what you wrote justifies our nuclear budget. Those aren't being used in Iraq. Why continue to produce so many nuclear weapons that we don't use when we already have way more than enough? It's cold war mentality. It's useless.
    CluelessCarrie

Answer by CluelessCarrie at 7:45 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• I agree!
    With Obama, we'll see a plan to end the war in Iraq!
    ...Ruth...

Answer by ...Ruth... at 8:29 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• I think its time for everyone in this world to try and get along. Everybody wants to be the best and we need to worry about working together to find cures for cancers, autism and all the other big problems they have around the world. Not who has the most, best weapons. Lets only hope the next president will work for the people.
    KandKenzNANA

Answer by KandKenzNANA at 8:54 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• "I agree!
    With Obama, we'll see a plan to end the war in Iraq!"

He wants to send them to Afghanistan, so they wouldn't exactly be coming home and ending the war.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:44 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• I sure we are pumping more than enough money into our nuclear program but do you really think we should advertise that to the whole world? I'm sure part of that money is going to our nuclear weapon, but we aren't going to waste using one when it would take out more than its intended target. It was easy bombing Japan back in the 40's because it is a secluded island, you can't exactly drop a nuclear bomb on Iraq, Iran, or Afghanistan w/out it affecting many many more untended countries and our allies.

Our military is one of the BEST in the world and I'm glad we pump that kind of money into our military to keep it the BEST. I would much rather our troops be safe when fighting for us than see the money go to welfare and other worthless programs that fund people not willing to fight for this country.
    Anonymous

• KandKenzNANA, I couldn't agree more. I'll take it a step more and say that we have to stop our imperialism thinly veiled by the word, Patriotism, and start to think about the rest of the world. We are extremely lucky to have all the rights, privileges, and freedoms our founding fathers insured us. We need to stop whining about taxes and "worthless" government programs (I assume worthless because they're not helping you) and help the world be a better place. Not just the US. And if anyone thinks Operation Iraqi Freedom hes anything to do with helping those people, you're very naive.

And, Anon, you genius, I was not suggesting that we use our nuclear weapons (especially in the Middle East). I was suggesting that we stop putting billions of public dollars into building them... Also, do you really think discussing this on Cafemom is advertising this to the entire world!?! They already know.
    CluelessCarrie

Answer by CluelessCarrie at 2:06 PM on Oct. 17, 2008