is this normal?

a friend of mine just had a baby. She feeds him im not even kidding every 10-15 minutes. but she only feeds him for about 5-10 min long... and she says hes a pig and always eats. but she doesnt give him enough time to get hungry....

idk, doesnt that just seem weird? Feeding a newborn THAT often...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:14 AM on Oct. 16, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think she is overfeeding him. When babies are just born, they will suck whatever touches the roof of their mouth. This reflex stops when they're just a few wks old. This is not healthy for him and she should just wait until he shows signs of hunger/
    sweetvietchic

Answer by sweetvietchic at 3:17 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• thats what i thought! She is always telling me things i have to do when i have my baby and things i shouldnt do ...our kids are only going to be 4 months apart, she is the same age as me and we will oth only have ONE kid.. its so aggravating lol especially coming from someone that i have noticed SO many things she is doing wrong...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:22 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• Breastfed baby? They're supposed to eat pretty much all the time. But she's not supposed to time. Baby stays on the breast as long as baby wants/

Answer by gdiamante at 3:48 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• get the kid a binkie some lids just like to suck and they will eat if they have to but a binkie would work well too
    jajamama

Answer by jajamama at 7:11 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• your off to a good start realizing what she is doing is not right or healthy for her baby and do not follow in her footsteps or take any of her advice. the best thing to do if you feel something is wrong with your child or you don't have an answer to something is call your doc and i don't care if you have to do it fifty times a day thats what they get the big bucks for
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 8:28 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• My friend was the same way at first the doctor told her that it was because the child was using her bottle/nipple for something to suck on. She didnt want to eat she just wanted to suck. So they gave her a pacifier and everything was good.
    kaylie_08

Answer by kaylie_08 at 9:08 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• When a baby is a newborn, they do eat a lot. My son ate every half hour to 40 minutes when he was young because he couldn't stay awake while nursing so he didn't finish his meal. The nurses and doctor told me to wake him up, but they didn't know my stubborn baby, he wouldn't wake up, lol. Consequently, I was nursing him all the time. However, he outgrew that within a few weeks, and I didn't time his feedings, I just let him eat until he was done.

If your baby wants to nurse all thetime, try snuggling him.her for a minute to see if your baby really just wants snuggles and loves or if s/he is actually hungry. If s/he is hungry, though, then nurse away.
    degsyuna

Answer by degsyuna at 9:16 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• Breastfed babies can nurse as often as they want. Mama's body will only make as much milk as baby needs. Just because he's nursing constantly doesn't mean he's overeating. It's perfectly healthy behavior for a newborn. If he was formula feeding every 10-15 minutes I would be concerned.
    Rachelou

Answer by Rachelou at 10:30 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• Newborn babies have very, very small stomachs. They get full quickly, but the also get hungry again fast. Is the baby breastfed? Breastfed newborns should be fed on demand. I have no idea what the formula protocol is for babies since my son was exclusively breastfed.

PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 10:47 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• i dont think its normal. and after a while, it will get really old for her! they should eat every 3 hours if breastfed for 10-15 minutes. she should stop before this becomes a habit hard to break! i think the paci sounds like a good idea!
    CNehneva

Answer by CNehneva at 3:57 PM on Oct. 16, 2008