What Age Does Catechism Start?

We stopped going to church a couple years ago. DH didn't want to go and it was difficult to get DD to sit still and be quite, so I slowly just gave up. I would love to go back but DH refuses to go (long story...he has God issues) and Sunday is his sleep in day (may seem stupid/selfish/etc of him, but trust me...he truly needs it, so I don't fight it). So DD is 4 right now and I am wondering if she is old enough for Catechism...that way they'll at least take her during some of Mass and I will get a bit of a break...?

AllAboutKeeley

Asked by AllAboutKeeley at 8:22 AM on Sep. 12, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Here we have the Catechism of Good Shepard Class. They start at 3. They teach the children what is happening in Mass at their level. They simple prayers some of the Allelujah and such. They also take then on a couple of " Field Trips" to the Sanctuary to show them up close what things are. It Helps so much. As they learn the children get involvedin the Mass, but you have to take her. Also RE classes here are between the Masses. BTW I've been in your shoes My DH also went through a time like this. Keep praying and going yourself. You need the Strength of the Eucharist right now. Also just politely invite him every week.  Hopefully he will start again one Mass at a time.

oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 9:20 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• Catechism classes around here start at age 4 though I didn't start my kids until 1st grade; we attended church regularly and I didn't see the need in starting that soon. Plus, it was quite expensive and that was the time I just left FT work to stay at home and go back school.
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 8:28 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• i just ask that your DD be given the chance to make an informed choice and learn about all religions. Just as you and your DH have made you choices, she should be allowed to make hers, as well.

At 4, she's not gonna understand much but is very impressionable and will believe whatever she's told at this point. But don't begrudge her Dad from teaching his DD his beliefs, as well. Its only fair.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 8:28 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• Most churches have children's church. She will learn on her age level about God and the bible. She will also be with children her own age. It really is a good idea to say grace before eating and prayers at night before bed, stop swearing around the house (if you do). Remember, there is no better teacher than a parent. Good luck!
    momx3gx1b

Answer by momx3gx1b at 8:33 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• Cripes Zoeyris, DH isn't teaching her anything. He's bitter because of all we went through and couldn't get pregnant and he hasn't forgiven God for that yet. These are "issues" just as I stated. There's no "begrudging" or "teaching" involved here. We are both Catholic and so is our daughter. If she chooses to learn other religions that is fine, but that will be something she will have to do on her own when she gets older...just as I did. I wasn't raised Catholic, but converted in my early 20's.
    AllAboutKeeley

Comment by AllAboutKeeley (original poster) at 8:33 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• Oh ok, I just thought you meant he was Athiest or something. I didn't mean to pry. My mistake :) Good luck in your goals with DD :)
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 8:37 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• At our church Catechism is at a different time and day from the Mass. And I believe my two started at age 6.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 9:06 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• It depends on the church some will have classes for preschoolers during mass, actual Catechism starts in first grade at my church.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 10:18 AM on Sep. 12, 2010