Anyone currently living in Philadephia or have visited or has lived there?

Need information for up and coming trip. Hope someone knows more than what I can find at AAA and online. Everything is painted so perfect. They do our city the same way to get people to travel here.

JOCKEYP2PMOM

Asked by JOCKEYP2PMOM at 8:37 AM on Sep. 12, 2010 in Travel

• DH and DS visited for a weekend just to go to an Eagles game so they didn't really see much else of the city. I went as a child with my family but that was a loooong time ago! BUMP!
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 8:39 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• All I can say is:
    remember its one of America's oldest cities so there's alot of old, run down areas, narrow streets downtown. Downtown is actually kinda cool to walk around (in daylight) and as long as you stay in the touristy parts (they clean that part up) you'll have a good time. Anything around the Independence Hall and down that main drag is gonna be neat if ya like looking at old buildings and window shopping at boutiques.

FYI: If you go off the beaten path by only a few blocks you end up in some seedier areas that you don't wanna be in for too long.

I got turned around in those areas once and I felt so nervous. Just keep that in mind. Its a neat place, but it has an ugly backside not too far away form the pretty exterior.

Oh ya, go inside the Liberty Towers, alot of visitors don't know you can do that. There a huge circular mall inside here locals go for lunch and whatnot.
    Have fun :)
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 8:44 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• At night they have ghost tours led by Benjamin Franklin (an actor). Ben Franklin walks around the streets greeting visitors (he's an actual paid actor, not some kook lol).

Go thru the giant Police HQ, its very pretty. And the museum you saw in Ricky movies is worth a visit for sure.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 8:46 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• Agree with Zoeyis.

We have visited Philly several times and always have a good time. Stick to the tourist areas and you'll be fine.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:52 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• OO theres a porn shop there called Condom Kingdom and they have little sperms on the ceiling bahaha..so funny
    SunShineMoMM

Answer by SunShineMoMM at 8:58 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• Philadelphia has a rich history and great architecture, most of which you can see close to Center City. That area is the most "touristy." Then there's South St. Usually most people walk down South St from around 8th, going down as far as they can walk. There are many eclectic shops to choose from, but it has become a lot more commercialzed than when I was younger. You WILL be asked if you want a cheesesteak. It's a Philly thing. Pat's or Geno's in the deep heart of South Philadelphia is where most would advise. IMO, the local hoagie shops will give you a really good cheesesteak. I like Ishkabibble's at 4th and South. Best margarita in town ? Copabananacabana, also at 4th and SOuth. It's a dive, but a good dive (LOL). Philly has great museums, and the Please Touch Museum is great for kids. Just remember to be very watchful at night, and don't travel alone. If you want to try the subway go to "www.septa.com" first. Have fun!
    69humblepie

Answer by 69humblepie at 11:01 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• Oh yeah... most schools let out between 3:15-3:30. Be careful if you're at the Gallery at 8th and Market Sts. Too many kids, and some very unruly (not all). DEFINITELY try the Reading Terminal Market, University of Penn has a great bookstore at 36 and Market (Barnes and Noble college store- awesome foreign language and children's sections). I love Indian food, so I will suggest New Delhi at 40 th and Chestnut. MMMM good! Lunch/brunch/dessert? More Than Just Ice Cream at 11th and Locust. Want nice stores at a slightly slower pace? Chestnut Hill. If you don't want to drive, there's the longest running transit route in the City, the 23 bus. It goes through some ruff areas, though, but it is an interesting way to see the city for what it is.
    69humblepie

Answer by 69humblepie at 11:12 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• One more thing... If you like to ride bikes or get a good walk in a beautiful area, try near the Art Museum. The azalea gardens have always been a favorite place with all of the flowers, and you can access Kelly or MLKing Drives. There are nice bike paths and the view of the Schuylkill River is so beautiful, especially if you come when the leaves are changing colors. If you bike on the drives, you can go down on one drive and ride back on the other. It's about 6 or 7 miles I think. You can take a nice scenic drive, too, just be careful. They're curvy.
    69humblepie

Answer by 69humblepie at 11:37 AM on Sep. 12, 2010