Do you have your kids write thank you notes for gifts?

I did when I was a kid, and my kids do, too.

toobigfrogs

Asked by toobigfrogs at 8:43 AM on Sep. 12, 2010 in General Parenting

• From a Gramma..... My children wrote thanks yous as I wanted them to be grateful and not take gifts as an entitlement. Surprised that my children are not very consistent in having GK write thank yous. I understand how much children have now but a grateful heart is a wonderful understanding for children to be taught.
    Librarylady60

Answer by Librarylady60 at 10:24 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• Yes, I had then write thank yous or call on the phone. I knew my mom would rather talk on the phone so I had them call her with a thank you.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:45 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• You bet ... and when they were too young to actually write the note, I make some on the printer that said "Thank you for my gift" with pictures on them that the kids would color and a place to help them sign their name.

People will talk about kids who feel "entitled" - this is one (of a great many) steps that can be taken to help counteract that. Teach them to be grateful for what they have and to thank the people who provided it to them!
    caseyandkids

Answer by caseyandkids at 9:02 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• Yes, I writing any kind of letter is becoming a lost art. Our girls send thank you cards after birthday parties and Christmas. We also send thank you cards to scout leaders, music teachers etc. Once my daughter was invited to go along with another family for a mini vacation (we had known them for a very long time). She took plenty of money with her, but they paid for the hotel, her food and her theme park ticket. As soon as she got home she sent them a thank you card because she had grown up doing it. The other mom called and was floored when they got it, she said DD was "one amazing kid". As a mom I couldn't have been more proud. (c:

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:02 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• Absolutely! This is a lost art form. If they receive money or gift cards, they can't spend the money/gift card until the thank you note is written and sent in the mail!! :)
    Skavswife

Answer by Skavswife at 11:04 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• yes!
    momx3gx1b

Answer by momx3gx1b at 8:47 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• Yes, I do. When they are little I help so it doesn't take so long.
    science_spot

Answer by science_spot at 9:00 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• yes. i always make sure its done right away, so its not forgotten. at this age, 5yo, he likes thinking someone received a letter from him that made him smile as much as their gift made him smile.
    i still write them, too.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 9:00 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• Yup, sure do. ;)
    kksmomma1019

Answer by kksmomma1019 at 9:11 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• always :)
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 9:19 AM on Sep. 12, 2010