My brother

OK so my brother is 16 and has become involved with some really bad people. The smoke pot ALL day and do whatever they need to in order to get it. Last year he failed 10th grade but this year he doubled and IS going to school but like last night his friend had the idea to go into a broken down house and take all the copper wiring out to bring to the scrap yard for pot money. His one friend who has all these "ideas" is 23 years old and a DD in foster care and another on the way with a different girl who is only 18. I don't know what to do anymore. I don't want to loose my baby brother to the streets. This is NOT how we were raised! my mother has no clue what is going on she works a lot and I'm not there all the time. Help before my brother winds up in jail or worse!!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:55 AM on Sep. 12, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• tough love. More then likely he wont listen. so you just have to let him learn from his mistakes and pray nothing bad happens to him. Im sorry your going through this. Im currently going through the same things with my sister whose 25.
    SunShineMoMM

Answer by SunShineMoMM at 8:57 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• some teanage do this just because ther'r requesting some atention from there familles, and sometimes its a request for a help ( subcontion ) so make him feel that he's important ( without getting envovled with some sensitive subject like why do u do that or whay u dnt avoid this ....) those subject just make him run from u and get deep and deep in bad attitude so talking abt him on juging him couldn't help a lot , lessen to him whatever ' rbish' he'll say just to make him feel that u'r here for help , dnt let him feel he's week, mention in smouth and smart way that he's smart and important and u take his advice .. ( even if u dont ) be vary patient ..so he'll run to u on next step rather than hung out with bad ppl
    Hope he'll realise that soon ;) and good luck
    caramelH

Answer by caramelH at 9:26 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• Your mother needs to find a way to spend more time with him. Where is your father? It seems like your brother has too much freedom. Take your brother to the police department and have them talk some sense into him. What can happen if he is busted with pot and how it will affect the rest of his life. Pot is a gateway drug for teenagers, meaning, if he is doing pot it is more likely that he will get into harder street drugs, not to mention alcohol.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:47 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• TY, one my mother does her best to provide and spend time with him. His father(my parents separated when I was a baby) is not around never really has been. My mom and him had been together for 5 years when she got pregnant. He didn't want a baby and so he has been in and out. He has been busted with pot did his community service and is now scott free. Oh and I do not believe pot is a gateway drug I smoked as a teen and NEVER touched anything else been drunk maybe 2 times and I am 25. Have not smoked pot in 5 years though. Just saying but I do agree with everything else.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:13 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• Talk with him and ask him what you can do to help him get on the right track. Be supportive and tell him you know he is smarter than this and that he wants better for his life. It is so hard to see people making mistakes, but hopefully he will see the love and support he has and realize this is the wrong way to go in his life.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 11:35 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• are there any "scared straight" programs in your area? Also, it sounds harsh but you may need to get the cops involved. Maybe by getting in trouble he'll realize this is not the life he wants to lead. Good luck!
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 3:42 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• Just talk to him. I'm in the same situation with my brother, but he's 22!
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 5:01 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• Have a talk with your mom. She needs to know the extent of the problem.
    cleanaturalady

Answer by cleanaturalady at 8:46 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• You obviously care about him very much, he must know that too. Sit down with him, let him know how you feel, where this path is leading him and find out where he wants to go in his future. At some point, you are going to have to involve your mom. Maybe have a sit down with your brother, warning him that you are going to get her involved. This may be a phase, but it could end up costing him a future!
    MomIWant

Answer by MomIWant at 9:37 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• OK so thank you ladies! I said down and spoke with him last night. I told him the next day our mom is off she ill watch my DD and we will go to the mall and look for a job and I told him I would take him out to dinner. That he is smart enough and is the type of person to walk in somewhere and get hired. I told him to chill out on smoking of course but he is very focused on school THANK GOD! He even woke up late this morning and got right up and went to school! He will have his time I just wish he wasn't so much like the kids we were raised NOT to be!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:42 AM on Sep. 13, 2010