Is 15 months too young

to start teaching right from wrong. My husband and I are trying to teach our son while I had a friend rudely tell me that he was too young that even her 6 year old son was to young to understand right from wrong! Di d I not get the memo somewhere that it's ok to let your children grow up and being able to do what they want? Who was out of line me or her?

Married2theBest

Asked by Married2theBest at 3:42 AM on Oct. 16, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i think you can start right away. its just as they get older your ways of SHOWING them right from wrong changes...
    KelsoBabeyy

Answer by KelsoBabeyy at 3:43 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• You can certainly TEACH it. Don't expect it to be understood or remembered for a long time, and don't get mad when it's not understood or remembered at this point. Toddlers don't have that concept, really, and aren't quite ready for it. But they do understand how they want to be treated and you can start teaching them to treat others that way.

The only thing out of line? That it came up at all. She shouldn't have brought it up, you should have smiled, nodded and ignored.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:46 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• completely understandable thank you very much
    Married2theBest

Answer by Married2theBest at 3:47 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• wow no she must of missed the memo that she is now a mother and that is her job to teach her children right from wrong and if her child is six she had best get on the ball. as for your question start teaching now but here are a few things to remember: Don't expect too much from me. i want to do what you ask and make you happy but i am still little. be patient i do everything for a reason but i dont know enough words yet to give you an explanation. love me, even when i'm naughty i'll only be this age once. don't let me think that you're perfect i feel a lot better knowin i'm not the only one who makes mistakes sometimes. set limits. i can't actually eat a whole box of cookies i just want to see if i'd get away with it. keep your promises it's all about trust. when i'm a teenager you'll understand why it's so important.
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 8:19 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• You can start teaching him to obey. Is a 6 year old too young to understand right and wrong? Sort of. He knows when he is being naughty though. He knows when he has broken a rule. He just doesn't fully understand why the rules were made or when it is OK to break them.

I agree with you - if you let a child run wild because they are "too young to fully understand" then when will they learn? Why would they want to learn - and give up the wild freedom? I look at it this way, I"m not raising a child... I'm raising a future adult. My job is to teach her and guide her into that role, not to sit back and hope someone waves a magic wand when she turns 18 and suddenly becomes a responsible member of society.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:06 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• its never too young to teach right from wrong!!! Just depends on the method of teaching it. Okay this is common sense, why would you not teach any child that! I read to my children whn they were new born.... did they understand... NO, but did I care, NO! Because it helped them understand better once they did understand, and how do you know if they understand if they have never been taught it. Period, never too young to teach anything, just different methods for different ages..... Hope this helps
    LoganAndKennedy

Answer by LoganAndKennedy at 12:25 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• the sooner the better. my twins are only 19 months old and have a pretty good idea of right and wrong. they certainly understand the word "no" and most of the time they listen to that. they also understand very well which rooms they are not allowed in at my parents house and they stop in the doorways and dont go in.

the earlier the better. its much easier to "program" your child with desired and good behaviors than it is to wait till they are older and try to "de-program" he bad behaviors they've picked up.
    mrspierce06

Answer by mrspierce06 at 2:29 PM on Oct. 20, 2008