How can I get my son to go #2 in the potty instead of his underwear?

My son who turned 3 in July has beened potty trained for a couple of months now. He only wears underwear no more pullups. He pees in the potty just fine. He doesn't have accidents anymore and stays dry all night! However, he will not poop in the toilet! He knows he's supposed to, but just doesn't want to. If I put him on the toilet to go #2 he pretends to go then says he's done, but he doesn't really go. When he does go afterwards he comes up to me and says "I'm sorry, I pooped". So he knows what he's doing is wrong. Any suggestions, personal experiences, tips or tricks, or even good book ideas would help! Thanks!

BrendansMom134

Asked by BrendansMom134 at 9:47 AM on Sep. 12, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• when i see that my dd has to go poopie, i bring her in and sit her on the toilet/potty, and i have a big towel, i throw it over her head and play peak-a-boo- with her, and before i know it she usually does her poopie in the potty , then she cheers! And then i give her lots of praise......today she came to me and told me she had to go potty, and when i sat her on the toilet/potty she said peek..(peek-a-boo) and we played peek-a-boo till she poopied, (my dd is 22 months old) Good Luck!
    mommylisar

Answer by mommylisar at 10:00 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• Read to him while he sits on the potty until he goes. Get a new reward for him. He's almost there!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 10:18 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• We dealt with this for a few weeks with my son. He did great with pee on the potty but poop took a bit longer. Honestly, we just kept encouraging, and yes, even bribing him to go poop on the potty and he finally figured it out.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 11:16 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• if he's scared, let him see you poop... just to know that it doesn't hurt and that it's not scary...
    otherwise i would try to figure out his "schedule" kids normally poop around the same times each day, and ensure that he is in the potty and is given lots of time to go then.
    my 3 year old won't poop if i'm in the room, she prefers to be alone, and then will call me when she's done... we make a HUGE deal out of it...
    asil

Answer by asil at 11:18 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• Thanks for the help! I've told him that if he poos in the potty I'll buy him a Buzz Lightyear, so I'll see how that goes. I'm also gonna try and figure out his schedule, that should help a little. I do take him to the bathroom with me, but so far that doesn't seem to make a difference, candy or small treats don't work either. Do you ladies know of any good books with some pictures maybe? I know that sounds gross but anything could help!
    BrendansMom134

Comment by BrendansMom134 (original poster) at 12:09 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• Get the book "Everyone Poops." It sounds like he is scared to poop in the potty.Get the book and read it to him
    victoriamom2007

Answer by victoriamom2007 at 12:29 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• my son did that at the same age...finally got the hang of it when he turned 4. his problem was that he got constipated once and then after that was afraid to go in the potty. he would however go in his underwear or a pull up. i just answered a previous question and told the mommy that we posted a calendar next to the toilet and everytime he goes poo he gets a sticker..he loves it!! we let him pick out the calendar and stickers. and he also gets a treat afterwards like tootsie rolls or m&ms. his pediatrician told us too not to worry if they dont go everyday. they're digestive system is a lot different than ours at that age. he's fine now and isnt afraid anymore. I still have to give him some Miralax in water everyday to keep his stools soft but he's not afraid anymore :) good luck to you and your little man
    travisnowensmom

Answer by travisnowensmom at 1:16 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• Give him a book to read, reward him if he poops on the potty
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 1:17 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• sticker charts work wonders! Give him a sticker every time he goes in the potty, take away 1 (or even 2) when he goes in his pants. When he gets x amount of stickers, he gets whatever reward you've chosen. It also helps to put a picture of whatever the reward is on the chart as a visual reminder. Good luck!
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 2:56 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• A few book suggestions.......................http://childrensbooks.about.com/od/lifelessonsissues/tp/pottybooks.htm...........Or just Google potty training (or toilet training) books
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:28 AM on Sep. 13, 2010