Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

my friend has a grown child who used to have constant ear infections she was married to a Md and what the chhose to for is give him over the counter med to dry his fluid it worked is this a good thing to do? idea

i forgot the name of it could it be dimotap ?my daughter alredy had tubes in her ears by one .she is 18 moths and the tubes feel off, I do not give her cows milk, but she does eat cheese and yogurt. i give her Pediasure 3 times a day to keep her growing strong and many vitamins Im just tired of all antibiotics . she still has fluid in her ears at all times making talking more-difficult for her.

Answer Question

Asked by youmakemydreams at 3:45 AM on Oct. 16, 2008 in Kids' Health

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (4)
  • I am having a hard time understanding what you have written, but from what I can gather this is what you are saying:
    Your friend's husband (or ex?) was a Doctor, and they used an over the counter medication to dry out the fluid that was on in her son's ear causing him ear infections. Your daughter has had tubes in her ears, and they have since fallen out, and you are wondering if you should use the same remedy that your friend used on her son.

    OK then. IMO if the over the counter remedy is safe for a small child, then I say yeah go ahead and use it. I would ask her pediatrician if they have heard of such a thing before, and ask their opinion of it, because while it may have worked for your friend, it may not be safe for a baby.

    Answer by CarolynBarnett at 4:53 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

  • You should check with your child's dr. before trying any OTC medications, especially with a young toddler. Recent events have found that most, if not all, OTC cold/antihistamine-type medications marketed for children have not been properly tested to be determined safe for children before being made available for sale to the general public, so better safe than sorry - Always check with your doctor first. If your DD is continuing to have fluid in her ears, she should be re-seen by her dr. and may possibly need another set of tubes to protect her hearing. If your regular dr. isn't helping, then request a referral to an ENT for more answers.

    Also, you may not be giving your daughter regular cow's milk, but Pediasure is milk-based, so pretty much the same thing as giving regular milk, except with loads more sugar & calories.

    Answer by mom2aspclboy at 9:08 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

  • Medicine has changed a lot since your friends adult child was little. Now they put tubes in the ears of children with chronic ear infection. It's much better because you don't have to keep loading the kids up on meds.

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:36 AM on Oct. 20, 2008

  • go get and read this book No More Antibiotics: Preventing and Treating Ear and Respiratory Infections the Natural Way by Mary Ann Ann Block.

    Answer by Lynette at 4:56 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.