why are so many in such a rush for their toddler to speak?

i have a 18month old and she is developing normally and she has a limited vocab. i am very greatful for that and i see all these questions about toddlers not speaking or not speaking in sentances and if something is wrong with them. what is the rush? why do so many want them to speak in complete sentances so young. trust me there will be plenty of time for them to speak.
what happened to enjoying them while they are little.

lambdarose

Asked by lambdarose at 10:23 AM on Sep. 12, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I agree. There is a lot of pressure on moms and kids to be better or first in these developmental steps. Relax and enjoy
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 10:26 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• Lack of speech skills is one of the main clues that your child may have a developmental disorder such as autism. I think there are a lot of people who are afraid that if their child isn't right on schedule that they need to move as fast as they can to get the right treatment.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 10:26 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• I had an opposite issue...I wanted mine to slow down. He spoke in sentences by 1 and full paragraph/conversations by 18 months...If I had a kid now and they didn't speak much, I might be excited.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:39 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• Because early intervention is SO, SO (I can't stress it enough!!) important if there happens to actually be a delay. They don't label kids that young, they usually just give them speech therapy (if there is a delay) and wait on any possible label. Any dr worth his weight won't diagnose a child with autism until they are at least 2 1/2 or so.

Answer by missanc at 12:25 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• you spend the first few years of their life trying to get them to walk and talk and then you spend the rest of their lives trying to get them to shut up and sit down...hahahahahha.. What my family says. lol
    Mom2Dano

Answer by Mom2Dano at 4:04 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• My oldest two were 3 before they spoke a full sentence, my youngest was just over 12 months

My DS and my youngest are 11 and 9 now and both are in speech therapy because they don't pronounce their R's. It's kinds funny since many people on my dads side have never been able to make the R sound.

Anyway they are all in school and doing very well.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 10:28 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• My son was almost 2 when he finally started talking in sentences.. I didnt rush him at all. I let him get it all figured out.. I did have him watch baby eistien and he caught on real quick..
    AirforceWife654

Answer by AirforceWife654 at 10:38 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• I posted the question about when did you lil one start talking in sentences...but I am by far not trying to rush him to talk. Was just curious when children start. Hope i wasn't the reason you want to post this today, if so I am so sorry.
    leann74016

Answer by leann74016 at 10:42 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• i understand about speech therapy and such but i never thought a 18month old is suppose to speak in complete sentances and its really unrealistic to think they can. the average and i know there are acceptions to every rule but really. i am only speaking about my 18month old. she says what she is suppose to say and she communicates very well none verbally. i just think its very easy to label children and then they turn out to be perfectly normal in their own way and i understand about pressure and such but i hate to see all these children to be labeled when they don't have to be.
    lambdarose

Comment by lambdarose (original poster) at 10:46 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• well first i think its just because parents get so exxcited and want to hear what that precious lil voice is going to sound like, also because besides the fact its important for a child to develope a good vocabulary....some people like myself, im on wic and theyre are constantly checking the development of the children and idk i guess parents just want to make sure that their baby developes at a good speed
    momOF2Girls0710

Answer by momOF2Girls0710 at 12:06 PM on Sep. 12, 2010