Christians Stabbed, Beaten With Plank Near Indonesia's Capital

Published September 12, 2010 | Associated Press

BEKASI, Indonesia (AP) — Assailants stabbed a Christian worshipper in the stomach and pounded a minister in the head with a wooden plank as they headed to morning prayers Sunday outside Indonesia's capital.

Neither of the injuries appeared to be life-threatening.

No one claimed responsibility for the attacks. But suspicion immediately fell on Islamic hard-liners who have repeatedly warned members of the Batak Christian Protestant Church against worshipping on a field housing their now-shuttered church.

In recent months, they have thrown shoes and water bottles at the church members, interrupted sermons with chants of "Infidels!" and "Leave Now!" and dumped piles of feces on the land.

SophiaofLight

Asked by SophiaofLight at 10:23 AM on Sep. 12, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Well NP, while you insist on looking the other way while justifying and excusing repetitive behaviors between Muslims versus Christians, I prefer to keep close tabs on such patterns--and this goes for ANY race or religious group!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 12:09 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• The fact is it's not really news. Things like this happen all over the world and we don't hear about it unless it's here in the USA. It's never good and it's not right but it's there.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 11:06 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• Sophia--it's no different than this buried story from July, that killed 7 and injured 3 others...

http://english.aljazeera.net/news/africa/2010/07/201071717329277497.html

And this story from March that killed more 200 and injured dozens more...

http://articles.cnn.com/2010-03-08/world/nigeria.violence_1_nigerian-attacked-violence?_s=PM:WORLD

Seems to be quite a few extremeists within the Muslim community.

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 11:27 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• I find it funny that they exact people who are so quick to jump and accuse conservatives, Christians, and that oh so evil Tea Party of every offense under the sun without any proof at all are the exact group to jump to say we need to wait and see what the investigation turns up. You have to love a double standard when it slaps you in the face. Some groups are to be given the benefit of the doubt while other groups are guilty just because they exist.

Leading the charge against the Batak Christians has been the Islamic Defenders Front, which is pushing for the implementation of Islamic-based laws in Bekasi and other parts of the nation.

Looks like they have a history to back their suspicions.

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 12:17 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• You love your hyperbole. Where have I looked the other way? Where have I said this was ok under any circumstances? I know this may be a shock to you, but the world does not operate in extremes.

***
    Oh please!!! We've been going round and round for WEEKS on the whole GZM topic, and every time, no matter what evidence or argument against it is presented, you have an answer to justify it, HIDING behind the Constitution!! History and common sense trumps written ideals any day!

I couldn't have cared less about the Muslim community prior to 9/11, but when a faction of their religion chose to attack innocent people that day, the rules were forever changed! And Muslims have done NOTHING to bridge the divide in 9 years. They somehow think FORCING their version of an olive branch is acceptable, even after the MAJORITY of Americans (won't get into percentages again!) have expressed their opposition, they still don't care!!!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 12:44 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• LIke, say, build a multi-faith community center open to everyone in the area around the site of the attacks?

***
    But WHY build a brand spanking new one, when there is an existing one 4 blocks away from GZ? Why not pour that $100 million into the EXISTING one, that NO ONE has a problem with, and make it 50 stories high?!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 1:36 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• Oh look, it's the line everyone is going to ignore, especially if it turns out this was a mugging.

***
    So if it was JUST a mugging that happened to involve Muslims attacking Christians, then it's perfectly fine? As opposed to an intentional killing? Wow.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 11:30 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• So what was the motive for Muslims HACKING to death Christians in Nigeria?! Was it for "walking while being Christian?"
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 11:35 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• It does disturb me ... and they want to bring it to USA this kind of behavior... they already attacked our country... does anyone think they will never try it again? If so your dreamin.
    What irks me is Pres. Obama says every time we are not at war with Islam... My response.. think again!
    That is exactly what the war is about... its about Islam becoming the world religion and everyone being controlled. Thats exactly what the muslim extremist want. Call me nuts but the community center.. the peace making actions are all part of the plan. Only those who have the eyes to see the truth will see it & believe it and be prepared for when it all comes out. There is SO much more happening behind the scenes. I dont even want to imagine... too scary! I find what happened in Indo. to be sickening and yes Christians in muslim countries DO stand out! Satan sure knows it & loves to use muslim extremists as a tool to do his dirty work!
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 1:39 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• There is no other community center. There is a mosque

***
    The Cordoba Project IS going to have a MOSQUE within it's "Community Center." So if a mosque can be added to a community center, why not add a community center to a mosque?!? It's one thing if the two were prohibited from being merged together, but this is not the case.

And JCC's and Y's do not have rooms used for worship within. And the two regional JCC's I worked in, had MANY rules based on Judaism that were REQUIRED of members...in other words...I was FORBIDDEN from wearing a crucifix or bringing in a ham sandwich for lunch! There was no mistaking the faith of the facility.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 2:05 PM on Sep. 12, 2010