Do you find it strange that a 7 yr old girl...

no longer wants to play with toys and figures she's too grown up for them? My niece's birthday is Saturday and we asked her what she wanted and she just shrugged. Her dad said she's not really into toys anymore,she's into "fashion and music". HUH? Since when is 7 the new start of the teen years?! Do you think this has to do with the early sexualization of girls nowadays? By the way,I bought her a paint it yourself ceramic bank and jewelry box. I hope its not too "babyish" for her!

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 10:28 AM on Sep. 12, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• I think it's all about what our children are exposed too nowadays that makes them grow up way to quickly.

I always believd that we should try and let our kids be kids for as long as possible, they have there whole life to be adults and 'grownup".
    Parents should enforce this, but I don't think they do, so kids fall prey to peer pressure and grow up way to fast!
    NatalievdV

Answer by NatalievdV at 2:11 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Childhoods seem to get shorter & shorter. It's such a shame isn't it. I played with toys way past 7. I think the gifts you bought her are really nice & she will like them.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 10:33 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• I find it strange. My granddaughter is 7 and loves her toys and she would love the gift you bought!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 10:30 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• I don't find it too strange. My sister is going to be 9... she's been into that stuff, like music and clothes, for a few years now. I don't like it, but I don't find it strange. I do believe that their "role models" are the reasons for why a lot of young girls are growing up so fast.
    momtochelhawk

Answer by momtochelhawk at 10:33 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• that is strange..my first thought is ...Is there a teen somewhere influencing her?
    hopenstuff

Answer by hopenstuff at 10:34 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• Some kids grow up way too fast! Thank God my 8 y/o still plays w/ all of her toys. From Barbies, Polly's, LIttlest Pet Shop, Legos etc., she keeps pretty busy. You were right to give her a craft as her gift. My dau loves to do crafts. In fact, last year for her B-day, she got a jewelry making kit, and all the girls sat around making their own jewelry. Keep encouraging things like that so she wont grow up too quickly!
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 10:35 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• LOL...My 14y/o son is "into" that, however, He still plays with toys too...
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:37 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• I don't find it strange at all. Neither my son nor my niece were toy players at that age. My son was into Legos and building things or just running around outside. My niece was reading and playing outside. Toys were never a big thing to them.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:42 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• fashion & music don't mean teen years. It just means she's into something different. My DD was NEVER big on toys, even when she was younger. She was always into art & music. She would have much rather make something out of clay than play with barbie dolls. It's really not that big of a deal. She can still be a child & not play with toys. Kids are just different & have interests in different things. I really don't think that she is acting too mature for her age just because she likes fashion & music. That is probably just part of her personality.

By the time my DD was 7, we didn't buy her "toys" anymore. I mean, she likes video games & riding her bike and stuff, she just never really cared for "toys". She is an artist & shows interest in anything that has to do with the arts. Music, fashion, painting, anything creative. It's just her personality.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 11:14 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• I think what you got her were good gifts. Shoot, I'm an adult & i would like to have a paint myself ceramic back...lol!
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 11:17 AM on Sep. 12, 2010