Do you use coffee grounds in your garden?

If so, do you have any tips for me on how to keep everything looking nice? Mine keep growing mold on them.....I pick it off, and it looks good again, but I was wondering if there was a way to stop it all together?

DereksBabyMomma

Asked by DereksBabyMomma at 10:37 AM on Sep. 12, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Absolutely! It helps to lay the out to dry instead of just dumping them in a clump. If you dump them, then have a handrake on hand and work it into the soil, that way the moisture is added to the ground and you are spreading the grounds. I got to where I dried my grounds (on the filter) in a slightly warm oven. There are various ways to do it.
    MaryWolfe

Answer by MaryWolfe at 10:42 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• Yeah, i use it all the time. Worms love it too. They eat it & make worm castings. It also has a slow nitrogen release, coffee grounds are great for your soil. The filter will always get moldy. Filters are not bad for your garden, but it would be less moldy if you could scrape the grounds out of the filter. I'll rub the grounds together in my hands as i am sprinkling it over the soil to kind of break it up & distribute it evenly. Then I'll take a little hand rake & gently work it into the soil. It's great stuff! I use to get bags full from coffee shops. You can call just about any coffee shop & ask them to save you their used coffee grounds for you.

If it's not clumped up & if it's gently worked into the soil a bit, you should see much less mold.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 11:05 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• Thanks to you both! This helps a lot! I love using coffee grounds because it's better than throwing them away, they help with the plants, and the smell a heck of a lot better than other stuff you might put on your plants. haha.
    DereksBabyMomma

Comment by DereksBabyMomma (original poster) at 11:12 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• I add mine (filter and all) to the compost pile. You could also spread them out and work into the soil, as above.
    mikesmom65270

Answer by mikesmom65270 at 1:56 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• I owned a coffee shop for a few years and many people were always wanting my coffee grounds saved for them. I would not have thought of it on my own, but they really do work and a great way to be organic and recycling responsible!
    CCzChocolateCaf

Answer by CCzChocolateCaf at 6:55 PM on Sep. 16, 2010