has he said this ??? i cant find out... and please its not a debate on if mccain is better or if obama is i just want a straight answer.

Mccain has said he doesn't want to raise taxes, that he wants to fix the economy withOUT raising taxes. Has he explained how he plans on doing this? And if he has, HOW? I can't seem to find this information out. Thank you.

(And I really just want a straight answer. This is not intended to be a debate about McCain and Obama.)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:53 AM on Oct. 16, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• We should learn from our past. The last time someone raised taxes in recession America went into the Great Depression because people could not afford to pay the taxes BECAUSE of the recession. McCain does want to help our economy by not raising taxes. And on of those that he mentioned in the debate last night, was to give money to the housing market to keep them from going under which in return will save countless amounts of jobs from real estate to the laborer on a new construction site. The spending freeze is to stop the excessive and needless amount of spending that is being done by the government as we speak.
    pajamk

Answer by pajamk at 8:06 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• McCain wants to put a moretoreum on Government Spending. Earmarks account for hudrends of millions even trillions (at times) of dollars. McCain wants to stop that spending in the Government (except certain military).

John McCain will:  "reclaim billions of add-on spending from earmarks and add-ons in FY 2007 and 2008. " and John McCain will veto every pork-laden spending bill.  Also, he will save money by eliminating broken government programs.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 7:26 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• I'm not sure of all the details, and you might have to research it further. But YES McCain does NOT want to raise taxes. He mentioned a spending freeze across the board. I'm not too clear on what that means though.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 7:27 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• At this point, anyone who enters office will have to raise taxes to try to get us out of this mess.
    CluelessCarrie

Answer by CluelessCarrie at 7:48 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• Clueless: Not exactly. It's been proven that if you lower corporate tax rate, you gain revenue. (Meaning, more companies come tot he US to do business and more jobs and everyone is happier).
    McCain wants to lower the corp tax rate, and stop govt spending. That could help us A LOT...
    Obama wants to raise the corp. tax rate and that would keep businesses from doing business in the US. We, the USA become LESS competitive. This could urge more companies to do business in other countries with a lower rate.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 8:09 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• McCain wants to do it they way we as a family do it. He wants to stop SPENDING that is nothing but wastes..... Earmarks, pork, failing govt programs ALL need to go.
    Obama wants to ADD programs... Raise the tax on the wealthy and corporate (who might have to let emplyess go or move to other countries to do business). But has made NO Mention how he will come up with the extra $$$
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 8:17 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• Even after the third debate last night, McCain hasn't sold me on th idea of balancing the budget, reducing our national debt, and improving our economy WITHOUT RAISING TAXES. It's very unclear how he plans to go about this besides putting a pay freeze on government spending. It's ludicrous to say that our country can improve without any government spending!!

I like Obama's plan in which only those making over $250,000 will have a slight tax increase. He's realistic in raising taxes and also reducing government spending, yet not cutting important programs. His philosophy is to grow our economy from the base with education, healthcare, the creation of jobs, etc. McCain proposes a plan that is very similar to those that haven't worked in the past.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:28 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• anon8:28: If Obama raises taxes on Corporations, we may lose more business to other countries. Would you want that risk?
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 8:42 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• I see Obama's point on raising corporate taxes, and I see McCain's point. I am inclined to think that if we stopped "farming" stuff to other companies, and doing it ourselves it would boost our own economy. I think his whole point, which is being missed by a lot of short sighted people everywhere is that it is going to take a LONG time and a lot of sacrifice to fix this mess. He makes no bones about it that the upfront cost is going to be big - but in the long run, we'll get out of this mess and become a hell of a lot more self-sufficient.
    BryRon

Answer by BryRon at 8:53 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• Part of my problem with McCain is that he hasn't explained anything thus far..

No.. to grlygrtz2.. Obama will sanction Free Trade in order to stop Major Corps from farming out work overseas by eliminating the tax break for these companies AND instead giving tax breaks to companies that hire within the U.S. as an incentive to hire Americans.. Where McCain would continue the overseas hiring, which is one of the major reasons many have lost their jobs in the U.S. So consider it an allocation of funds.. It all works out under Obama's plan, from what I've gathered.

With McCain, everything else will just continue to go up to not worry about taxes in the first place.
    GOBryan

Answer by GOBryan at 8:57 AM on Oct. 16, 2008